Dynamic Color question

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Sharpshooter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dynamic Color question

Post by Sharpshooter »

I've never use dynamic color before, but I wanted to see if instead of a color changing into a different color, a texture could change into a different texture. I couldn't figure out how it could be possible, because the example on bzflag.org didn't have a spot to put a link to a texture. Does anyone know how t do this if it can be done?
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Dynamic Color question

Post by Ice Wewe »

Sharpshooter wrote:I've never use dynamic color before, but I wanted to see if instead of a color changing into a different color, a texture could change into a different texture. I couldn't figure out how it could be possible, because the example on bzflag.org didn't have a spot to put a link to a texture. Does anyone know how t do this if it can be done?

Ask LouMan, he is king of this stuff.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

i don't belive it can be done, unless someone added that in in hte past couple of months OT:but by theroy i have a way to make a moive out of a moving texture:OT
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

me1 wrote:i don't belive it can be done, unless someone added that in in hte past couple of months OT:but by theroy i have a way to make a moive out of a moving texture:OT

If you talk to Cods, who runs the tuxee server, he has color's that fade in and out, also, when it's red, you die. :twisted:
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Ask A-Delusion, he did it to perfection on all of the boxes at his server. Actual map was made with Sid6.7's BZRand, but A-Delusion added color change.

a-delusion.no-ip.org:5160 to check out the map.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Sharps

Post by optic delusion »

SharpShooter was talking about textures, not colors.

I have looked at loumans burning tanks, and the butterflys, in louman's mystic valley. but I don't have any real advice for you.
The butterflys are one .png, that seems to rotate at times, giving the illusion of motion. It doesnt really change textures, but shows you different parts of the same texture, at different times.
look here http://trepan.bzflag.bz/tiles/

The moving, round transporter ring I have seen lately, might give you some clues too.

The smoke on the burning tanks is done in a different way. Much harder to do, it seems to me.

I think the answer to your question is in the butterflys somewhere... That one seems the easiest to do, at least.

Or look at the spinning globe, there's a gold mine of hints in there.
http://www.garrettsites.net/bzmaps/inde ... tail&id=96
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Sharpshooter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sharpshooter »

I think I didn't ask the question the way I wanted to... What I'm trying to figure out is how to get a material slowly change darker, then slowly change lighter, and keep repeating. I'll do some expirimenting to try and get it to work.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

This is it.

Post by optic delusion »

an examples of a fading color in use, this goes red to black, to red......
first define the dynamic color,
then the actual material (you would define any texture here)
then use the material in your object (matref)

#dynamicColor for MOFO in the sky (creates the fading effect)
dynamicColor
name mofocol
red sinusoid 5 0 1
green limits 0 0
blue limits 0 0
alpha limits 1 1
end

#actual material for mofo in the sky
material
name mofomat
#addtexture http
diffuse 1 0 0 1
dyncol mofocol
end

#MOFO sky lettering mesh
mesh
name mofo
#vertices
# M
vertex -305 -100 150
vertex -325 -100 150
vertex -325 100 150
vertex -305 100 150
vertex -247.5 -100 150
vertex -267.5 -100 150
vertex -220 100 150
vertex -200 100 150
vertex -200 -100 150
vertex -220 -100 150

#M
face
vertices 0 1 2 3
matref mofomat
endface
face
vertices 2 3 4 5
matref mofomat
endface
face
vertices 4 5 6 7
matref mofomat
endface
face
vertices 6 7 8 9
matref mofomat
endface

#completely transparent material
material
name invisible
diffuse 0 0 0 0
end
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

This ties into an idea that I have had, but haven't had a chance to mess with. I was thinking that if you could create a custom texture with a lightning bolt with the colors carefully selected so you don't have a bunch of colors, but maybe just a couple (so it doesn't show except when your dynamic color statement tells it to). The lightning bolt would be on a transparent or black background and the colors set to rotate very fast, so the lightning bolt would appear to flash rapidly.

This effect could be used at the edge of maps on large mesh screens or even in the middle of a map. I am not sure, but it would be really cool if you could tie the color effect to the timed firing of a world weapon. The lightning would strike, and say, a shockwave would go off, or perhaps a burst of standard tank rounds contained in an inside out box with it's attributes set to drivethrough and with no texture or color. You can drive through the thing like it ain't there, you can't see it...but when the lightning goes off and the world weapon fires and the tank round bounces around on the inverted walls...look out!
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....