spinning textures

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

spinning textures

Post by ClayOgre »

I have poked around on here and elsewhere and can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Basically I want to have a mesh face that has a texture on it...just one texture, not tiled, not stretched, and have that texture spin continuously around it's own center (not fixedspin). I am assuming that the "center" statement has something to do with this, but I am not sure how. Do the two numbers relate to the texture? To the face the texture is on? Logically I would think that if you specified .5 .5 that would be the center of the face and/or texture, but apparently not.

Anybody else tried to do this and succeeded?
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Center moves the center of the texture away from the center of the object.
I think its expressed as a percentage of 1. So..
center .33 .33 moves the texture one third of the (stretched) texture's size away from center.

I'm not really sure.
I've mostly used it on spheres, it's hard to tell what face is what, on a sphere.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

I solved it...sort of

Post by ClayOgre »

I truthfully really do not understand why what I did worked.

However...

In wings, I took the face of a cube and did an extract region. Then I UV mapped that extracted region, which made the entire UV map into a single face. I applied my texture and texture matrix and viola, it spins around it's center. I suspect the problem was that I had a hand-coded mesh with no texcoords (I still don't really understand whatinheck texcoords are, in spite of much googling). Anyway, I got what I wanted. Thanks anyway for your reply A-Delusion.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

first link from googling "texture coordinates":
http://www.opengl.org/resources/tutoria ... ode52.html

maybe "more reading" and "some comprehension"
would serve you better then "much googling" =)
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

Actually, I googled UV mapping...which I figured would do the same thing. And what I did find, I didn't understand either.

...and I read your link and I still am, at best, only a smidge further enlightened. Just got a whole bunch more terms for which I have no definition. Either that or they got lawyers moonlighting writing 3D graphics documentation. Chasing down the terminology is a bit like linux file-dependency hell, you need this rpm...which has this dependency, which depends on that rpm...which depends on the first rpm you were looking for... You can do it, bit it can sometimes take a while.

Is there a UV Mapping/Texture Coordinating For Dummies book out there do ya 'spose? Or maybe a video with the Muppets (TM)... "Hi-ho...Kermit the Frog here, and today we're gonna learn about U/V mapping." Thet thar wud be kewl.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

As you seem to have wings3d:

http://p212.ezboard.com/fnendowingsmira ... D=77.topic

I suggest going through the barrel turorial at
the top of that post. It's a simple introduction
to mapping.

NOTE: I just looked at the picture at the bottom
of the barrel tutorial, the lighting normals are
wrong. The edges around the top and bottom
faces should be hardened.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Two links that are actually relevant will certainly replace googling for the foreseeable future.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.