A plea for a little bit of help

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

A plea for a little bit of help

Post by The Purple Panzer » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:34 am

I'm trying to finish up my part of a collaborator map, and I'm behind schedule - I think what I need is really trivial, but it's a matter of not knowing where to look.

I've spent the last few days learning how to use Blender, and I've actually got something that I want to use in a map. Direct export to bzw format using teppic's tool gives me a file with a few comments at the top and nothing else (I still suspect a version problem, some issue of a mismatch between blender, python versions most likely).

I can export from Blender to .obj format, and then use modeltool to convert to .bzw, but when I see it in BZFlag it is as if many of the faces are missing (with no particular rhyme or reason to which ones are gone).

I'm attaching a zipped form of the Blender file, in case someone out there can grab it and convert it cleanly to a .bzw and send it back to me (and I will post this object in a bit as well). I'd very much like to know what the steps are to do this as well; it's frustrating having done the hard part, and being stuck at this final step.

(One note: I did nothing with materials or textures in this file; as I wanted to finish quickly, I decided that for me the fastest thing would be to just edit the resulting .bzw file to insert the right material (the matref's in the file I have that doesn't work reference "Material"; I just define one at the head of the file (it will eventually be concrete; I usually just put something simple in to test. It makes no difference.)
Attachments
newpillbox.zip
Revised .zip: the real file
(42.24 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Last edited by The Purple Panzer on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:05 am

I tried opening it in Blender, but it says it's not a Blender file. :|
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com

The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Sorry, zipped wrong file; fixed it.

Post by The Purple Panzer » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:11 am

I had zipped the .obj file; I've now done the Blender one, and edited my first message to have the correct attachment.

trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:13 am

Disable the "Double Sided" object property in Blender.

Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:24 am

With the blender file:-
I fixed the 'missing' faces
Turned on the normals so you can see them
Added a material, so you have something to alter when it comes to the text editor
Set the flags for BZWExport, so it exports it.
Scaled it up by 5 so I could see the faces clearly in bz to check them.

The resulting bzw file is in the zip too
Attachments
Stuff.zip
(65.91 KiB) Downloaded 118 times