Moving objects?

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Destroyer1313
Private First Class
Private First Class

Moving objects?

Post by Destroyer1313 »

Is there code to make boxes and pyramids move? If not,
can it be implemented in the next release? This would add
a whole lot to map-making and everything!
Dormant. Not really. Kinda.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

This WILL NEVER be done, make the game waay to complex...I think timmy would have to be drunk (does that ever happen? ;)) to allow this into the game.
Destroyer1313
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Destroyer1313 »

Darn, that would make maps so cool.
Dormant. Not really. Kinda.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Moving objects aren't terribly complex if they are implemented in a simple way... the tanks are a good example :P

I don't think Tim Riker has anything against it (don't quote me on that) though it would be a lot of work for the developers.

There is actually code in 2.0.6+ to make objects rotate around the Z axis, written by trepan. However, the object MUST be drivethrough and shootthrough, as the physics don't take account.

What I'd like to see is being able to move objects by defining a motion path, basically a circular or back-and-forth path defined by several points. Possibly speed and weight data (if smooth speedups and slowdowns are included) could be included with each point.

My guess is that it will happen in BZFlag, but it will probably take a while, and it probably won't be in 2.2.x.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

I think that moving objects would be a great addition! OTOH, I understand that it would involve a good bit of developer work.

One idea I've always wanted to see is triggerable moving objects. In other words, you shoot a target, and something else on the map moves.

Examples:

You have a CTF map setup so that the only way in to grab the flag is if a target is shot somewhere else on the map, an a door opens up for access to the flag, and the capturing tank drives through. Especially cool if it makes team members communicate to win.

A map of almost any type, and if you shoot the wrong place, 20 bot tanks come pouring out of an otherwise sealed off room.

It would make Unreal Tournament style assaults possible.

Extendable bridges to opponents' flag.

I could go on :)
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I think that this would be a very welcome feature. Static maps, as they are now, rather limit mapmaker creativity (in my opinion). Physics drivers have been really cool, but actually enabling the objects to move would be great. This might actually be the one biggest change for the better that the developers could implement in the near future. :D (I think, anyway)
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

??? a recursive link to this topic :p
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

I think he meant:
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8607

Unfortunately, those objects can't affect physics in any way, and are limited to rotating around Z.

Hmm... for complex movement patterns, scripting probably would be best, or a plugin (scripting would be better for maps, I think).