Previews and comments on future maps.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

New Map (Tentatively Colonies)

Post by meeba »

Alright guys, I'm workign on a newmap.

Here's all I have so far...

But I'm still going. You see, the bases will be in secure areas under water. You have to jump up into the elevators (the two shorter towers) up to the second level. There, conveyors will carry you to another elevator in the center, which boosts you up to the main battle arena. There, you will fight, find the drop (the big tower) down to other bases, grab the flag, and repeat the process.

Anyways, I think it'll be fun, but I guess we'll have to see. ;)

All updates will be posted in this thread as I get stuff done. Right now I'm working on adding the conveyors for the second level.
Sgt El Zilcho
Private
Private

Sounds Cool

Post by Sgt El Zilcho »

that sounds like a great map your doing, when your finnished will you tell me how to play on it?
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

It's all pretty straight forward. Spawn, Jump on a physics driver thing, get carried to another physics driver thing, jump up to another level, fight in the battle arena, find a tower thingo, fall in it to a base, grab the flag and find your way back. Not hard :? Not hard at all....

Hehe, it should be sweet once it's done. Sgt El Zilcho, along with updates that TangenT said he'd make, he'd probably post screenshots too so you should be able to see where to go with the help of those :)
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Alright, more progress today. Added the conveyer belts. Some of the meshes are being funky, but they WILL NOT affect gameplay at all, it's just something weird with how they're being rendered or something.

Anyways, here's a couple more screenies.

The next thing to get done is the walls and ceilings over the conveyors, then I'll get the elevator up to level 3 done. After that, I'll add in the water at the bottom, and then I'll put together the battle arena up top.

Ideas and suggestions, as always, are welcome!
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Looks like a very creative idea. Looking forward to trying it out!
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Constitution wrote:Looks like a very creative idea. Looking forward to trying it out!
It might be a little while. I'm having computer troubles. Half the time when I load up BZFlag, my computer crashes now, in addition to the other 2 billion random crashes it's had lately.

Stupid Dell laptop.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

TangenT wrote:
Constitution wrote:Looks like a very creative idea. Looking forward to trying it out!
It might be a little while. I'm having computer troubles. Half the time when I load up BZFlag, my computer crashes now, in addition to the other 2 billion random crashes it's had lately.

Stupid Dell laptop.
'Bout time for that MacBook then, I'd say. :-)
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Some crashes are due to the map, and I had some of these problems do to spawns or textures... but I doubt that's it. Hope your comp starts acting better soon.

When you say rendering weird, are you getting that evil stretch the caution texture wrong on conveyer belts?

Map seems relatively unique. :) Can't wait to see it.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

ducatiwannabe wrote:Some crashes are due to the map, and I had some of these problems do to spawns or textures... but I doubt that's it. Hope your comp starts acting better soon.

When you say rendering weird, are you getting that evil stretch the caution texture wrong on conveyer belts?

Map seems relatively unique. :) Can't wait to see it.
Yeah, I get that evil stretch on SOME objects. Including all of the TOPS of the conveyor belts. I have a solution for some of them, though. But not conveyor belts, those continue to be weird.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Alright, more updates. I got the ceilings and walls done for the physics area (level 2). There are also drive-through walls (but not shoot-through) to kind of protect you from getting shot while in the tunnels. The center area is ready to have the elevator added, and then I will add the battle arena.

meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Alright, more updates. All I have left to do it put up obstacles for the battle arena.

Oh, and one of the quadrants of the upper floor is lower than the other ones for some reason... you can't drive straight from the green corner to the blue or red corner, you get stuck. It's weird, I just used a define for it and rotated it, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

More screenies:

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Is there going to be anything special about this arena? Perhaps a WW of some sort.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Grace F wrote:Is there going to be anything special about this arena? Perhaps a WW of some sort.
I don't know... should there be WWs? And of course there will be obstacles.

Also, what flags should there be? I don't know if there should be any at all, and certainly not OO or PZ. GM is too powerful, I bet, and SW will be annoying, but I suppose that SB could be nice, as well as QT, A, V, MG, and F.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

flags.......hmm, I prefer no flag servers.
If flags were to go into this 1 I suggest not putting SW|L|GM but others like F|T|N etc.
No BU either! ;)

WW's, you could put 1 in but it depends on the structure of the Battle Arena.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Grace F wrote:flags.......hmm, I prefer no flag servers.
If flags were to go into this 1 I suggest not putting SW|L|GM but others like F|T|N etc.
No BU either! ;)

WW's, you could put 1 in but it depends on the structure of the Battle Arena.
Any ideas for the design of the arena?
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Umm, a design. Not 1 paricuarly but I could create 1.

This is a map im working on right now. Perhaps you could get some ideas from it looking at the centre piece.

If they didn't help at all....sry :P
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Alright, I came up with this... and yes, it's symmetrical in all corners.

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Sweet! :) My initial thought was that the arean would be bigger in a way that it had a roof and such :P

Have you tested it?
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Grace F wrote:Sweet! :) My initial thought was that the arean would be bigger in a way that it had a roof and such :P

Have you tested it?
Yeah, and I did a cool flag zone thing, also. But I have one corner on the battle arena that seems to be below the others. It shouldn't be, but for some reason, it's being drawn that way (you can't see it, you notice it when you get stuck though).

Grace, want me to send you the BZW of what I have so far?
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Yes :) Or host it and pm me the addy and i'll join with you.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

I can't put it up... my SSH is still broken. If someone else could host it, I'm going to put it in the Map Releases board either in a few minutes, or before I go to work tomorrow. It's done enough to be put out.

So if someone wants to host it, I'll be putting up the map, and also some suggested options (not in map file).
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

TangenT wrote:I can't put it up... my SSH is still broken.
Oh, still...?

I'd host it but because of the lag problem it wouldn't be a good idea...

As I say to all maps being released, I hope you find a US hoster :)