Collisuem/Arena/Whatchamacallit

Previews and comments on future maps.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Collisuem/Arena/Whatchamacallit

Post by dartman »

Holy crap. I haven't posted here in ages!

The other day I was tinkering around with Wings3D for the first time in a long time, and I made this cool map that actually isn't made of a bazillion objects. :lol:

Basically, it's a huge arena that fills up most of the map. There's not much inside, but there's a ceiling with a hole in the middle, bridges crisscrossing overhead the whole building, and four exits at the corners of the map, where bases should appear for a CTF game.

I'm no pro at Wings, so I'm not entirely sure whether the map actually works or not, and I also don't know how to post screens, so someone else should take pics of it. Anyways, check it out!

EDIT: Forgot to attach the file. :lol:
Attachments
arena.wings
UPDATED!

Here's the map. The flat green part on the bottom isn't going to actually be part of the map, it's just a benchmark of how the map would look on a default world size (400, I think).
(182.84 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Last edited by dartman on Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Err...The smooth edges don't work very well with the tanks. Plus, you should release bzw files by exporting them.

(btw, the arena needs to be raised above the Y level [or Z in BZflag] so that the arena is above ground)

Nice attempt though.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

Yeah, I opened up the file and saw how the whole thing was upside down. I fixed it though, so I'll save and update the attachment.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

Hey, do you guys think the entrances/exits at the corners of the arena are to low for tanks to actually travel through? It's hard to tell.
flight
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flight »

a tank is 2.08 units high if that helps at all. i don't use wings so i don't know if the units in wings is the same as bz units after you do the bzwtools or what ever. OK so i don't know that much about wings3D :P but in bzunits the tank is 2.08 if that helps ;)
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

It would be helpful if someone can send me a Wings model of a BZ tank, that way I could use it as a benchmark.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

dartman, there is a Wings3D to BZW exporter that was released on the forum. You can try that out, then load up the map in bzfs, and run a client. I (just like sigonasr2) have serious concerns about the ability for tanks to move around on that map due to the curves.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

I remember looking into that Wings-BZW thing before, but I think it wasn't compatible on a Mac without me doing a bunch of codey crap I'd never understand, so I never downloaded it. I'm not that much of a techhead.

And I know the map has a ton of curved surfaces that tanks can travel on, but the fact is those surfaces aren't there to be traveled on in the first place. The map is simply a big, roofed arena with bridges high over head and entrances/exits at the corners, ON THE GROUND. The really curvy parts are on sides where there wouldn't be much room on the edge of the map for tanks to move much anyway, and that's intentional because it forces you to go through the arena, a high-combat zone, in order to cap the flag. The curvy parts of the map are there to set the wide entrances/exits apart from each other.

I got an idea for the map just now, though. Maybe I can try making a hole in the middle of the curvy parts and opening it up so thst the hole can serve as a quick escape for tanks with WG, or a more secret path for flag-cappers. Wings is a weird, confusing program, though, so I don't know how well I'll be able to pull that off. Hmmm...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It should work with Wings on any operating system. The directions provided on the forum post where it was released are quite helpful.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Can Someone post Screenies?