Easy Target's Castle Wars

Previews and comments on future maps.
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: In a cardboard box, how I own a computer, I don't know.

Easy Target's Castle Wars

Post by Easy Target »

Here's my latest map.
The idea is 2 castles fighting against eachother, however, in the midst of creating it, i feel that my brain has run into a road-block and i cannot think of anything else to put. I DO intend on putting more stuff into it, but as of right now, i cant think of anything else.

The map will be 2-team ctf, Superflags, Jumping, rico.

Enjoy :D

Oh yea, I also was thinking that i should add a moat to each of the castles, so please give feedback! i am in desperate need of it.

p.s. I havent added the textures and meshes, so please bare with me.
Attachments
bzfi0015.png
(397.72 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
bzfi0016.png
(371.38 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
bzfi0017.png
(357.95 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
castle wars.bzw
(12.54 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Humor helps us to think out of the box. The average child laughs about 400 times per day, the average adult laughs only 15 times per day. What happened to the other 385 laughs?
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

yeh i like it
Last edited by silver surfer on Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

Please give me suggestions on how to improve it (besides fill in extreme open areas) instead of just saying "i dont like it" the point of this forum is to help me make my map better, and your comment doesnt help at all. :?
Humor helps us to think out of the box. The average child laughs about 400 times per day, the average adult laughs only 15 times per day. What happened to the other 385 laughs?
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

yeh u should add some rico moments
Last edited by silver surfer on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

lol...thx?

I've added stuff to the map, although, i'm not quite done yet... I'll get screenies up in a little while of the updated version. :D
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

I have screenies!

ok... I'm still hopelessly confused on how to make them lighter so someone pls pm me and tell me step by step how to make em lighter, but till then here are my slightly dark screen shots...

As you can see, i'm still not completely done, but i'm getting there. :P
Attachments
bzfi0018.png
(403.13 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
bzfi0019.png
(385.87 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
bzfi0020.png
(448.89 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
castle wars.bzw
(17.78 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

i like it now looks more fun has a lot of rico moments=)

but.... the bases are pretty much a bit fixed up of the bases in the new ctf that everyones playing at these days...i dont kno the name
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

It has all of the quality's that a popular map needs to have, great work. I like the castle areas.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

thank you very much peter and silver

Silver: what you mean to say is that my base area looks like they one in missile wars... I just noticed that too, I'm gonna add some stuff so that it has its own flavor...

I'm still a little low on ideas though everyone, pls keep helping me add stuff. :doh:
Gabriel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gabriel G »

Looks very nice Easy :P. I like how you filled the open space, try to make your screenshots brighter with +/- key.

You could most likely improve it by adding jumpers, making the castle a bit more protected (few more walls around it or something), or a conveyor belt. Also, try to make a few interesting objects around the corners. Otherwise good job O_o [I understand you don't want to make your map too cramped, perhaps make the towers in the middle a bit more towards the corners? Or some of the walls there too?]
Use the Search and Edit buttons as your question may have already been answered/posted.

Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

ya, i'll see what i can do,

also, how do i make them brighter? cuz whenever i hut the +/- it doesnt do anything.

Also, how do u make a conveyor belt? i'm not quite sure on that..

I'm still gonna continue working on it... :wink:
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Easy Target wrote:ya, i'll see what i can do,

also, how do i make them brighter? cuz whenever i hut the +/- it doesnt do anything.

Also, how do u make a conveyor belt? i'm not quite sure on that..

I'm still gonna continue working on it... :wink:
You have to "Hold" the +/- keys.

The Wiki is how you make a Conveyor belt

http://my.bzflag.com/w/
Gabriel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gabriel G »

ducktape wrote: You have to "Hold" the +/- keys.
You don't necessarily have to hold them down, tapping them works sometimes. ALSO, sometimes this doesn't work IDK why.

EASY, just set the sky color to NONE and then set it back when you're done (that's what I do if the +/- keys don't work).
Use the Search and Edit buttons as your question may have already been answered/posted.

Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

I've updated my map, and i think everyone will be pleasantly surprised :wink:

I've added many rico possibilities along with cover for our beloved stealths.
Geno flag will be in the middle on top of the "X"

remember, i still havent added the meshes yet, so be patient with me, I was thinking that i would make all of the boxes like a castle type thingy, or should i leave it as is because it might lag up the server?

EDIT: actually, i'm thinking of just making the castles like a castle type mesh, and the pyramids on top of castles, their team colors, and leaving everything else as is.. tell me what you think

well... here it is...

p.s. i've attached a copy of my map for those of you die-hard players that like to test everything.
Attachments
bzfi0021.png
(671.35 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
bzfi0022.png
(654.4 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
bzfi0023.png
(656.52 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
castle wars.bzw
(21.89 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 wrote:
ducktape wrote: You have to "Hold" the +/- keys.
You don't necessarily have to hold them down, tapping them works sometimes. ALSO, sometimes this doesn't work IDK why.

EASY, just set the sky color to NONE and then set it back when you're done (that's what I do if the +/- keys don't work).
Well you can tap them for 20 times or just hold it for a bit. :p
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

I see you've been hard at work...

Feels a lot like Missile Wars, even with the platform above the base. In addition, I think that this map could benefit from some flags.

The sides are very cluttered. It seems like you just placed filler in there instead of actually placing things that might be of use.

I'll have to see how the final version turns out.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Easy Target wrote:I've updated my map, and i think everyone will be pleasantly surprised :wink:

I've added many rico possibilities along with cover for our beloved stealths.
Geno flag will be in the middle on top of the "X"

remember, i still havent added the meshes yet, so be patient with me, I was thinking that i would make all of the boxes like a castle type thingy, or should i leave it as is because it might lag up the server?

EDIT: actually, i'm thinking of just making the castles like a castle type mesh, and the pyramids on top of castles, their team colors, and leaving everything else as is.. tell me what you think

well... here it is...

p.s. i've attached a copy of my map for those of you die-hard players that like to test everything.
I don't know why you would need to add any meshes, you already have the objects you want. Making some meshes would just be redundant. Also, in version 2.0.9+, you can add textures and other properties to regular boxes and pyramids (something that you would need meshboxes or arcs to do in pre-2.0.9) and the end result is a lot neater.

By the way, the map looks a little too cluttered now.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

F687==> I am going to add flags and im gonna take out some stuff so that the map wont be as cluttered

A Distraction===> k thanks i'll try and remove some stuff as to make the map a lot less cluttered thanks.
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

O.K., I took all of these suggestions into consideration and I came up with the following map. I have to get off of my computer so i couldn't take the screen shots yet, but I'll get them up as soon as i possibly can.

A Distraction===> I'm not going to add separate meshes, i meant that i was going to turn the boxes into meshboxes because I use bzedit so I don't want to add meshes and zones (F687) until my map is fully complete... I consider those the finishing touches.

Here is the updated download:
Attachments
castle wars.bzw
(20.56 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

After removing all those smaller blocks in the center, it's a lot better as far as cluttered, in my opinion. However, those missile towers (I'm assuming that's what they are.) in the middle are rather thick. Perhaps thin them out at the bottom and have it spread out slightly where the tank sits?

The blocks to the base look sort of hard to climb for a keyboard user, but fine for a mouse player. I haven't actually played it, so I'm not certain... but keep in mind every possibility. Otherwise, the other jumping situations looks really nice.

Make sure there is a way (Wings flags are always nice.) to reach the top of the gate. It looks like a player would be able to drop their team flag and have it somewhere within the gate's small openings or have it float to the top. As it is, I don't see a way to reach the top or many areas of it.

Good work. Keep it up.
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

thanks, i'll try and fix the gm towers in the middle and make them skinnier
and i'll try and find ways for people to get on top of the gate

thanks
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

ahhhh first u had way too much.... now theres no rico moments at all and its empty=/ add more... but not too much :shock: right in the middle :D
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

OK, thanks i'll see what i can do to add more rico options...
but remember, this map isnt all about the ricochet unlike my last one.
This one is about team skills and working together WITH FLAGS to conquer other team, so rico IS important but not as important.
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

Ok, i think this may be the final copy, without textures and zones, i'll add those later today ...i hope...

I've attached screen shots and a copy of the file for those who like to test it.
Attachments
bzfi0024.png
(756.36 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
bzfi0025.png
(712.45 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
bzfi0026.png
(753.92 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
castle wars.bzw
(23.26 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Gabriel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gabriel G »

Looks good, I have one suggestion.

Make all the triangles in the middle area have the ability to drive through, just like in real missile wars. That way people can't shoot in but you can shoot out. That'll make for some interesting gameplay. Can't wait!!! :D