Maze map, what should I do next?

Previews and comments on future maps.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Maze map, what should I do next?

Post by Peter »

I haven't made a map in a while, and I always made CTF maps so I decided to make a fun map. And after some thinking I started to get work on a maze map, the maze layout was designed by the GIMP maze plug-in, I then loaded that image into blender and started to model it over that.

Here is a blender render of the maze..

Things I wanted to know..

What style do you want it to be?
What size?
Should shots be allowed?
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

How about noradar, no shots, steamroller only, with slightly faster tanks?

You ought to put in some landmarks too, IMO.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I think No Radar No shots and it should like where you spwn with a team flag and you have to complete the maze to find the base and capture the flag. Theres my 2 cents.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

The steam roller idea sounds interesting. What do you mean landmarks? Like a unique object for each part of the maze so you know you have been there?

Ducktape, I really like that idea. Dose anyone think it should have shots enabled and SW?
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

In my opinion, shockwave is bad for a maze, cause when you get trapped, well. It's just annoying to get killed across a wall and you have to navigate through a complicated set of walls to escape. It's like a time bomb with no hope of escape.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Yeah, good point. Also another question I wanted to ask is do you think I should make it bigger and harder or smaller and easier?
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

It's good the way it is.

I like Spazzys idea but if two tanks with SR collide, they both die, yes? Unless there was a way to avoid that then yeah I'd say go for it.

The idea about having the maze and solving it, once someone solves it, that's it they've done it. Unless there was a way you could change the maze each time someone solved it ie. Captured the teams flag.

You could have 1 shot, capture the flag, and no radar aswell as allowing many ways from one base to the other but still keeping the maze like structure. Still having ways for people to get lost or stuck. "Hunting" someone in this situation wouldn't help to much, you could head towards someones general direction but realise their on the other side of the wall.

ducktape wrote:Theres my 2 cents
There's my $1
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

The problem with SR is that if everyone has it, you die whenever you kill someone.
Join MI6!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I used to run a no-shot SR-only server. If both tanks were moving towards each other, both would die. But if one was moving away from the other, and was being chased, only the one chasing them would die. This has to do with latency between the two clients. The one chasing them sees the enemy tank closer to them than they appear to the one being chased. And the opposite is true of the other client (the one being chased sees the one chasing them as being further away). Eventually it came down to people having standoffs, and it got really boring.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I would say no shots, and no jumping. But that could get boring i guess. You could even make more then one Version like a CTF, FFA, HTF, and SR only type stuff.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

I was just playing it with ahs3 and we found that HTF was boring, as you knew the way after the first one; it became less about trying to find you way and more about seeing who could do it the fastest. I think I might make it into an FFA with no rico, some flags and noradar. I think I will have the Rico flag, Tiny, Thief and Super Bullet. Thanks for all your input, expect the map to be in releases within the next two days.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

If your'e worried about people getting bored, you can put up signs with directions on them at various places around the maze (ex. real directions, fake directions, clues, riddles, insults at a dead end, etc.) I think no radar would be a good idea, and lots of fog too. But people might get frustrated because they don't know how to locally turn fog off. I agree with most of the things already said here, though I think SR alone would get boring. Maybe put one way belts on the floor of some paths that get you to the right or the wrong place. Yeah you know what I'm talking about: Celadon Game Corner Rocket Hide-Out.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
bolon manik
Private
Private

Post by bolon manik »

you can close the way through the maze more with walls and have only drive through walls. that'll keep people geussing.
Then have one sw spawn randomly with one shot that takes the whole field out. so you have a race for the sw flag. it will be funny to watch.
although this probably will get boring too.