PillHiX Map

Previews and comments on future maps.
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

PillHiX Map

Post by lep »

Hi everyone.

This is such a simple idea for a map, and so easily put together, and maybe I'm years late and this has come up already. But what I did was combined the HiX map with a standard Pillbox map to make "PillHiX." I've been around BZFlag, on and off for several years, and so much enjoy watching players play at the HiX map. The level of skill is so high, and because most players there are up for a challenge, I thought that adding the Pillbox map would just bring obstacles that HiX players would be willing to face. And vice-versa with Pillbox lovers of course. The map does have two bases per team just to increase difficulty, and possibly strategy.

Here are a couple screenshots. Maybe its too plain or boring for BZFlag, but I thought the idea was pretty cool, and different. Let me know what you think.

-ll
Attachments
bzfi0003.png
(860.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bzfi0001.png
(842.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Re: PillHiX Map

Post by allejo »

Seems a tad bit crowded..
Irrefutable
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Irrefutable »

Put it up and we'll determine whether its worth while.
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

Well before it goes up, I noticed the crowding just playing with bots. So what I did was remove the "X" or "cross" from the Pillbox map to open up the center. I also adjusted and removed some of the stockade boxes that surrounded what would be the pillbox bases. Too many caused useless ricos and overcrowding of the corners and tele porters. Here are screenshots of the updated version, does it seem less crowded and more playable? If so I will try and get it hosted to see how it feels to players playing on it.

thanks,
ll
Attachments
bzfi0006.png
(925.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

Gentlemen, may i make a suggestion (or two)?

Remove any boxes that are in each other (like ones under bases, only keep ones near the center).
In corners where flag safety boxes are (i believe that's what they are there for on Pillbox) remove original Hix boxes and replace them with Pillbox ones (with a "roof" on them).
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

I could never see the point of the corner boxes in Ducati. They were too dangerous to enter, since any shots through the gap caused dangerous ricos inside.
I believe it would be enhanced by a short pyramid at the entrance that would force the attacker to enter after their prey.