Atriumz

Previews and comments on future maps.
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Atriumz

Post by ClayOgre »

My first question, is this thing too big?

And no, I did NOT intend on making giant chinese take-out containers...this is a work in progress... okay (oh and by the way, the chow mein at Yow Fat's House of Noodles are especially Yummilicious...). The chinese take-out thing was an accident.

The "wings" at the top of the each atrium will be connnected into a single level, there will be four of these levels, each 100 units off of ground level. From below, ya cain't see 'em, they are one-way mesh's. From the perspective of a tank below, the tanks above appear to be driving on thin air. The only way to get to an upper level will be by starting at ground level, taking a ride on a vertical physics driver thingy (at present, this is vaporware) all the way to the top level, then drop down through some convieniently located open spots. There will be common obstacles which protrude up through the floors. In addition, there will be obstacles which are unique to each of the four floors. My idea is to have each floor be a sort of separate theme (which I ain't figured out yet, as I am doing this by the seat of my pants).

The walls of the atriums are drivethrough from the inside, but can be shot through (at least I think I set it that way...If not, it is in the plan), they are invisible from the outside. Tanks outside can see in, but can't drive in. Each atrium will have an inverted "mountain" thingy with a castle type structure on the inverted base.

At the top of each atrium is an "ergball". Inside each I plan to put a spherical "ricochet arrestor" (what has also been referred to as a "bullet catcher" with most likely lasers and or standard rounds firing into the things from various locations to created a sort of glowing, pulsating interior to each one. Purely decorative and may have to be simplified if it slows things down too much. I may place a platform with a teleport inside the balls and have guided missile flags spawn there. You can get 'em, but don't get fried.

There will also be various garden variety ground obstacles, etc. I also want to fiddle with the textures a bit to see if I can make the whole works less bland.

This map could be either used for CTF or FFA (personally, I don't like CTF, I am not a "team player" kinda guy), but this idea came to me, so I figured what the heck, I would try this out.

Suggestions and comments welcome. If you download the map itself, grab one of the 400 wings flags I have put in and fly around and take a look.
Attachments
atriumz1.jpg
atriumz1.jpg (48.17 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
atriumz2.jpg
atriumz2.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
atriumz.bzw
(6.51 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Crazy.. It would be better if you could make it so that people can size it themselves...
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Look at HT's BZLand. He is currently hosting it at bzserve.no-ip.org:5156, I think. Pay special attention to the islands. Is this what you intend to achieve?

This map looks HUGE, like it was meant for 50 players. Maybe a refrigerator-sized server will do... or maybe you could rent out a rack of Blue Gene/L. :D
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

Nope, just went and took a look at BZland. Not what I am after. Yeh, mine is big, am more in line of trying to create something with several "playfields" all in one go, but at the same time open.

I looked at the BZland map only briefly, but I didn't like it. Use of pure, bright colors bothers me, and what little I saw just seemed very disorienting.

I do want something that perhaps confuses just a bit, but not once you get the hang of it. However, I may have to shrink it a bit. I suspect it is too large.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

it looks nice, how much time u spend on it?
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

cool map! though it sorta makes my brain hurt. do you mind if i make a few agustments and serve it?
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

Time spent. I dunno, maybe 12 hours off and on.

me1, if you want to, go ahead. What you see there isn't finished, but if you want to play with it, go ahead. I would be curious to see what sort of adjustments you want to do...
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

What is the worldsize? It looks pretty cool, but your posts are so large it takes forever to read them :)
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

world size

Post by ClayOgre »

World size is 1300.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....