BZ-sketball

Previews and comments on future maps.
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZ-sketball

Post by ClayOgre »

A partially completed basketball court map. Lines on the court are drivethough (but not shootthrough), except for the edges of the court, which have an "Out of bounds" death physics driver on them. All the flags in the map are wings flags so you can fly around and take a look at things.

Further items to add:

A different colored ball going through each hoop.

Two teams of different colored tanks on the playing field.

Some supports under the bleachers.

Maybe a snack bar.

Scoreboard (wonder if Trepan's clock would work here?)

Announcer's box behind one bank of bleachers.

Add some detail to the backboards.

Probably fiddle with the texturing.

Anything else?
Attachments
BZ-sketball.jpg
BZ-sketball.jpg (38.21 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
BZ-sketball2.jpg
(47.79 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
BZ-sketball.bzw
(4.8 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

Court is plainol ordinary tetra. The supports for the backboards are also tetra set to a dark grey.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

lines on the court

Post by ClayOgre »

Well, yeah, for verisimilitude, they could be lower, but I wanted them to be part of the obstacles, so I raised them just high enough to block/ricochet shots. I thought of even going higher with them, but decided go down the middle.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

Further developments. Added "tank Players" in blue and red, plus a referee. These are a LouMan mesh object. I fiddled with the mesh's a little bit. The tanks are scaled large enough you can drive underneath them, the mesh on the underside of the tank was made "double sided" and the underside set to drivethrough. You can actually jump up inside the tank (the LouMan one-way floor trick) and bounce of the underside of the top of the tank. Thus it is possible to "hide" inside the tank and shoot out.

Latest screenshot included. Am hoping I can upload an updated map file, if not, will post it here.
Attachments
BZ-sketball3.jpg
(54.38 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
BZ-sketball.bzw
Latest version, with "tank Players".
(16.68 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Wow, how did you do the basketball hoop net?
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

now you need a BASKETBALL ;)
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

RPG, see my funky nuclear vent thingy in the map objects section to see how I did it.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

Hey, i told you it looked like a basketball net :)
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

how did you make the whole vent thingy a group? i tryed but it didn't work :(
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

groups

Post by ClayOgre »

What exactly are you doing? Do you first define the group with an

define <name of your group>

some bzflag objects

enddef

then call it with

group <name of your group>
end
???

Here is an example:

define box

meshbox
name box
position 0 0 0
size 10 10 10
rotation 45
end

enddef

group box
end

Now, the definition statement does nothing. To get your box to appear, you have to use the group statement. If you want to move the box:

group box
shift 50 50 10
end

This moves the center of the box to 50 50 on your map and puts it 10 units up in the air.

group box
spin 45 1 0 0
shift 50 50 20
end

The above group does the same thing, but now your box is "tilted" (not rotated) 45 degrees around the Y axis. Spin was the thing I had the most difficulty with, until I figured out that it was doing everything around the world x y z axis' rather than that of the object. So if you want to use spin, define your object at 0 0 0, spin it, and THEN shift it to the location you want. Be careful with spin, if your spin statement causes any part of the object to go into -Z (below ground level) it will look weird, try it and see (make a box and position it at say 0 0 -10 and see what happens). You have to make sure that you use shift to move things UP above ground level after spinning them. For instance, my nuclear vent/basketball net. When I spun it upside down, it ended up BELOW ground level, because it was spun around an imaginary axis LAYING on the ground, the "world" axis (y in this case, and by the way, if I understand correctly, the spin statement has x and y reversed, i.e. spin y x z...)

Anyway, now that I had spun it upside down, BELOW ground level, I had to shift it up by its own height to get it back were it was, only upside down. Once I did that, I could then shift it again to put it where I wanted, in the case of the BZ-sketball map, up further and out to where it was underneath the basketball rim. Think of spin like a gymnast on the horizontal bar, swinging around and around. Only in this case, you have TWO horizontal bars, your x and y world axis'. For a perfectly symmetrical object located at 0 0 0, it doesn't matter which axis you use to spin it to "turn it upside down", but for something asymmetrical, or if you place it so that it is NOT centered over 0 0 0, then it does. Say I make a box:

meshbox
name box
position 10 5 0
size 10 10 10
end

Okay, I now have a box that is ten units square with its' bottom southmost edge right on the x axis. if i spin 90 around that axis it it will spin around and now be on it's side at coordinates 10 -5 0. Does this make sense? If you make something you plan to spin, sometimes it is a good idea to actually define it so it is half in and half out of the ground, it kind of helps with dealing with keeping your coordinates straight for when you use shift to move it where you want later.

Now I also made a group out of the "net" and spun it again around the world Z axis (think of a big steel post sticking up in the middle of your map, you put one hand on it and walk around it, you just spun yourself around the Z axis, same concept). Anyway, I spun it 180 degrees around the Z to have another one at the other end of the court.

This is the beauty of the group and shift/spin. You can define something at 0 0 0, where it is in some ways simpler to deal with the coordinates, and then move the whole works to where you want it.

I know, I probably gave you more information than you wanted...I am the sort of person, you ask me what time it is, I will tell you how to build a clock and then go on to give you a bit of the history of clocks. Anyway, hope this "novel" helps.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Clay...you are incredible.
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

Ummmmm.....is that incredible "good" or incredible "bad"? Or just more in the category of yer speechless?
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

good and I'm speechless too ;)
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Good meaning that I think that was the longest post since JeffM2501's horribly misspellen FAQ. :D
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

TD-Linux wrote:Good meaning that I think that was the longest post since JeffM2501's horribly misspellen FAQ. :D
i'm sorry but there is a post MUCH longer than that in the "open Combat" fourum :wink:
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

TD-Linux wrote:Good meaning that I think that was the longest post since JeffM2501's horribly misspellen FAQ. :D
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2897

If you read it your IQ will go up 5 pionts.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

me1 wrote: i'm sorry but there is a post MUCH longer than that in the "open Combat" fourum :wink:
which is at http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2897
imsome
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by imsome »

you should make a physics drive that will allow you land inside the basket, tank dunking ; )
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

whoa, imsome is right, if you put a small trampoline in front of the basket and one farther away, you should be able to 'dunk the tank' from two diff locations
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

Well, that makes three people who have suggested that to me, I shall have to look into it.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

M1A2AbramsTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by M1A2AbramsTank »

Wow, first football, then basketball, and now someone should make a baseball or soccer map; heck, maybe even rugby or tennis, the list goes on and on!
I'm baaaaaaaaack!