An idea: DarkWorld

Previews and comments on future maps.
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

An idea: DarkWorld

Post by ClayOgre »

I have TD-Linux to thank for this. I was really intrigued with the texture and color of what I came up with for the back side of the reflector (he suggested using black). The texture, a dark charcoal colored tetrawall, seemed sort of like velvet concrete. If you tinted it brown, it would be good for adobe type structures in a southwestern style map.

My idea was this:

What if you made a world that was very dark, sinister, menacing? Sort of "The Lord of the Rings" Black Gate meets BZFlag? Dark monochrome shades, black sky, set the latitude so that there is very little sun, if any. The only bright things will be the flags (and if I could make 'em darker or a different color, I would) and the light from your tank rounds.

The standard map wall border doesn't seem to fit with something like this. I wanted something else. I set _wallHeight to zero. I concocted a section of wall to replace it using Blender. It has no back or bottom faces, so if you go into observer mode (you really need to download the map and run it to get the full effect-texture matrix on the spikes-souls of damned tankers trapped within their confines and so forth...), it is going to look a bit weird from outside the map borders.

Here is what i have so far. Sorry the screenshot is dark, it's supposed to be. The world is small, and there is only the one wall section. I am still not sure what the world size will be. I have in mind some sort of nasty looking construction in the middle, accessable only by narrow bridges over a deep chasm, filled with dark, roiling noxious fluid and perhaps a rock or two. Skulls, lots of sharp pointy stuff. Invisible, unexpected teleports lurking in the shadows. Very gothic and hopefully a bit scary even.
Attachments
darkworld1.jpg
(56.27 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
spikewall.bzw
(16.31 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

imsome
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by imsome »

the wall looks really cool, sounds like you've got a pretty good idea on what you want it to be, can't w8 till the map is finished
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

what about making a Sw style 'ghost town' using your newfound texture, if i can call it that with 2 lines of buildings with doors, windows, and porches?

the buildings would end before the end of the map, and you could have 'trees' as cover behind the lines of buildings

I would do this myself, but all this map stuff is wayy over my head :roll: , and i dont want to bother to learn it.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage

Post by Guest »

Yeah, it's gonna be neat. But the mountains kinda ruin your screeny. :P

@Phalanx, Nice attitude... :roll: :wink:
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

yah, too bad about the mountains. It is my understanding that they are pretty much hardwired into the game. Mebbe I could block them out somehow or other.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

Post by Guest »

You could put huge (mesh)boxes up around the map as I have done with my latest (soon to be released) map.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Wow. Getting credit for a whole map, just because I suggested a different color? Thanks! <br>
You should have a skeleton of a building in the center. Then you can have lots of old, rickety plank bridges go to it. You could have all of the plank bridges but one have drivethrough planks, so the bridge 'breaks' and the tank falls into the void. An errie light at the top of the skeleton building would attract tanks (and mosquitoes too). See Louman's latest Island Hopping map for ideas. Look at the lighthouse beacons.
Hide something special at the top. Maybe a slow-moving SW that kills off everyone on a map. Or, maybe, some big burning letters (giving off the light) that say "We apologize for the inconvenience." :D