Sports Car

Premade map objects and sections that can be used in user maps.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Sports Car

Post by allejo »

Hi everyone!

This is my first post that isn't a question. So anyway I was playing around with Wings3d and i thought i would make sports car. My friend, doesn't play bzflag, bet me ten bucks i couldn't make one. I made one and now i have ten bucks. So i thought why get rid of this car while i can share it. i have posted a few pictures and the .bzw if you want to use it. the size of the the car is a bit big so if you use it in a map scale it down by using a group.

-Ha You Got Shot By Me
Attachments
CAR.bzw
(204.29 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (413.6 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Untitled 2.png
Untitled 2.png (414.77 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Untitled3.png
(432.56 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Nice job. Some color or textures would also be nice.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

junkyard

Post by optic delusion »

Too bad we stopped working on this six months ago... I had pretty many hours into it... blasterwisconsin helped a lot too.... these are very low poly, 300-500.

I figure each car in the last pic needs 2-4 hours work. The texture map needs fixed, then we need to make an invisible mesh that (more or less) matches the car, that tanks can drive on.
I have a few sets of wheels too...

Attachments
racer_car_23.bzw
(93.37 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
blast
General
General

Re: junkyard

Post by blast »

Optic Delusion wrote:Too bad we stopped working on this six months ago... I had pretty many hours into it... blasterwisconsin helped a lot too.... these are very low poly, 300-500.

I figure each car in the last pic needs 2-4 hours work. The texture map needs fixed, then we need to make an invisible mesh that (more or less) matches the car, that tanks can drive on.
I have a few sets of wheels too...
Neat. Where did those models come from?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

herse

Post by optic delusion »

They are from a (a pretty poor) Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Mod Pack, that I downloaded from a russian site.

I was looking for extremely low poly I wanted less that 1000 polygons per car. The cars in GTA3 all have 3000 or more, so this mod pack was perfect.
They don't have wheels, I had to add them. The wheels have as many polys as the cars.
Attachments
hearse.bzw
(49.42 KiB) Downloaded 190 times

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

so did you just use the textures from GTA, or did you use all GTA files (texture, mesh, and whatever else there is there?

what site was it (where u got the GTA files)?
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'd be curious as to what license that GTA mod was released under. Do they allow you to modify and redistribute their work?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

It's been awhile since i worked on this.. I had to research my own stuff to remember...

It turns out that "Need for Speed" and GTA use the same file format, so these actually came from a NFS site.
http://www.nfscars.net/file/view/highstakes/6230.aspx

Here's what I did to get them this far.
First off... finding some cars that are usable in BZFlag took awhile. Just about every car posted anywhere is too high of a polygon count, I don't want to lag players FPS. I could have one car with 50,000 polygons, and it won't be too bad, but I wanted multiple cars. so I absolutely had to have very low poly counts. These were all under 1000.

The renderware format of the cars is .DFF
The application we used to convert them to obj was ZModeler2. There are plugins for other modelers, but thats what we used. We paid the registration, I think it was $25. It only runs on windows, so that means my mac was out, I got BlasterWisconsin to convert them for me.
They need to be fixed after conversion. The UV-map doesnt make it through the conversion perfectly. Some are a lot better than others. Idunno why.

Next they need to be drawinfo converted using modeltool. A few of them wouldn't make this conversion. Since the time i worked on these, I've learned a bit, and I'm pretty sure I can correct the non-planar faces.

You can't use modeltool's -bounding geometry conversion, you can only use drawinfo because tanks will have an extremely hard time driving on the cars. You gotta make an invisible box that matches the cars contours, except it with perfectly flat tops. We did a couple of these before we quit.

Still, there are no wheels. Those need to be added. Not too hard to do.

I was trying to replicate Tedius' traffic map, with a physics driver that simulates motion of the cars, except in a circular fashion. Upon further study, I don't think that that is even possible without eliminating bounding geometry (cars are drivethrough).

Blast, here's a copy of the author's original readme. I've emailed him several times with no response.
Attachments
basic cars v2readme.txt
Richard Paquette
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 216 times