Advanced Bot-fight

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
18Wheeler
Private First Class
Private First Class

Advanced Bot-fight

Post by 18Wheeler »

As you know, I have own a Human vs Bots server. I use standart bots. When I was examining the source code, I found out that a bot can chase a player. As I see, now he chooses randomly who to chase. And then I got an idea! Just imagine: you type "=>Robot001: chase (playername)" and he does his work. But I really don't know how to make it real. Please help me if you can
If something goes wrong call admin.
Strakowski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Advanced Bot-fight

Post by Strakowski »

18Wheeler wrote:And then I got an idea! Just imagine: you type "=>Robot001: chase (playername)" and he does his work. But I really don't know how to make it real. Please help me if you can
I'm sorry, I'm not really clear on what you want to do. Is your intention to make it so bots can be reprogrammed by users during a game? Basically, who is typing "=>Robot001: chase (playername)" and where are they typing it?
18Wheeler
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 18Wheeler »

Imagine:
You are a user playing on the server. You type into the chat box:"=>Robot001: chase (playername)". And then the bot hunts (playername).
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you'd have to modify the client to do that. It isn't really a plug-in thing.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Also, if you plan to continue running 7 bots on a server, you need to modify the server to not report them to the list.

http://my.bzflag.org/w/List_Server_Usage_Policy
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

18Wheeler
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 18Wheeler »

I see. Now I understand about the rules. It seems to be hard for me to change the server source code. Please do not ban me. Can I run only 3 bots in current configuration?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

When running bots always talk to the real owner of the server, they will let you know how many you can run. Many owners do not want bots at all.
ImageJeffM
18Wheeler
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 18Wheeler »

I'm the owner of my server but as Blast said I'm breaking some rules while running bots. And my queston is: how many bots can I run on my own public server not to break list server rules?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

in 2.0.x bots get reported as players to the list server. so some people use bots to get themselves to the top of the list server. There is no hard and fast "number" of bots that is acceptable, just the use of bots to get to the top of the list is generally looked down upon. It is easy to mod the server to not report the bots. Then you can do whatever you want.

Edit: It actualy looks like I made that change back in 2007 to the 2.0.x line, so if you are using a recently built server (2.0.13) you should be fine.
ImageJeffM
18Wheeler
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 18Wheeler »

I'm using the latest stable release of Bzfs for Ubuntu Server Karmic Koala, but Blast reported that I'm breaking some rules. I'm a system administrator, not a programmer, so it's hard for me to make that changes to the code. Please, help me to make them, because I really want to run bots with no breaking of thr rules
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'll check to see if that functionality works as intended. What specific version of the bzflag-server package do you have? Is it 2.0.13.20080902-1build1?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Okay, it does seem like that version I listed above does have the code to not advertise the bots, so assuming that is the version you are running, I probably was just mistaken when I was looking at the server list player counts. You should be fine in that case.