Idea: hostMute

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Idea: hostMute

Post by I_Died_Once »

Heres an idea for a plugin idea that will solve all kinds of headaches for server owners. I'm no programmer, but its the idea is fairly simple and straight forward...

Much like a hostban, this plugin would effectively /mute any and all players on a given subnet or host with the in game command "/hostmute host" - the plugin might should take a writeable hostmutefile arguement, which stores/writes hostmutes to a file so they can be carried out across server restarts.

-loadplugin /path/to/hostMute.so,/path/to/hostmute.txt

This way, you can shut someone up and they can rejoin, change a name, or even their IP, and you have effectively shut the front door, even if you restart, as long as you keep the plugin loaded.

An alternative name for this might be: ductTape
...This has been a recording.
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Idea: hostMute

Post by FiringSquad »

This effect can be achieved without the use of a plug-in just by using Usergroups.
You can give speaking permission to people within MYSERVER.TALKGROUP and spawn privileges could be given to people within the MYSERVER.SPAWNGROUP.
To mute somebody, just remove them from the MYSERVER.TALKGROUP
This has the advantage of being spread across multiple servers.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Re: Idea: hostMute

Post by I_Died_Once »

That method doesn't work if you allow unregistered players to talk, or if the problem player is using an unregistered callsign. I'm not looking to shut everybody up
...This has been a recording.