Object Properties per Team

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Object Properties per Team

Post by tainn »

It would be really helpful if a plugin were to exist where one could specify an object's properties that would differ per team.

For example, a box that could have the drivethrough option applied to it, but for the rabbit team only, for the rabbit to temporarily escape to, or use a shortcut. Or a pyramid that would have the death effect phydrv applied to it, but only affect the blue team, while the red team would be safe when touching it.

I believe this would open up new potential strategies for map and game play creation.

To anyone interested, these are the team options of the latest version at the time of posting this:

Code: Select all

{
    AutomaticTeam = -2,
    NoTeam = -1,
    RogueTeam = 0,
    RedTeam = 1,
    GreenTeam = 2,
    BlueTeam = 3,
    PurpleTeam = 4,
    ObserverTeam = 5,
    RabbitTeam = 6,
    HunterTeam = 7
};
blast
General
General

Re: Object Properties per Team

Post by blast »

Plugins cannot do that. That would be a protocol-breaking change that would require changes to the client and server.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

I see, in that case the thread is better suited in the Enhancements forum instead, requiring such changes.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

The concept does sound somewhat similar to what others have proposed over the years.
While, if I remember correctly, in '2.99', there was work to only allow certain teams or shots go through teleporters, this was pretty much as far as it go in terms of 'per-team' attributes to objects.

Not to sound discouraging in any way, but API at the time of this writing have no 'ability' to control or adjust objects.
The tangability feature would have allowed some interesting aspects to be made, but this was for the '3.0' edition, which was never released.

Although you are not able to adjust any of the 'arguments' an object has with the API, there is something you can do.
This is using a custom map or zone object, and by doing so, some of the things you have mentioned are 'possible' to some extent. (Via plug-in.)

The part of having a 'death' object only affecting certain teams is pretty much the only thing which can be done be simulated with a plug-in.
I did partly simulate this in my 'TeamDeathZones' plug-in, which was inspired by the following threads: Stay Out Areas for a certain team, Death Objects And Hiding Objects

However, my implementation of it was inefficient and left a lot to be desired, but it is unlikely I'll be revising it anytime soon due to other projects taking priority at the moment.
Still, the source is there and you are free to use or update it.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread