Co-op HTF

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Co-op HTF

Post by tainn »

Conceptual topic.

The idea or goal behind a co-op HTF plugin would be to allow some sort of teamwork or even matches between two teams (HTF in leagues, *wink-wink*), with the game mode being HTF.

As of right now, the concept behind HTF is attempting to be the fastest individual to reach the end of the map, usually the enemy base, and capturing own flag to win the race. At co-op HTF, however, there wouldn't be a winning individual, only a winning team.

A team would win after all of its members have successfully reached the end, and have managed to do so before every member of the opposing team.

To have this work in practicality, a few basic conditions would have to be met:
  • while the ending platform could be an enemy base, the runners must not hold their team flag in that case, as we don't want the run to end with the fastest tank, but the fastest team
  • there must be no possible way to reach the opponent team's base, only your own and the ending platform
  • obviously, there must be no shots or killing, as this is HTF
While not required, it would also improve teamwork and chat if there would be no radar. With it, new strategies would also open up. For example, when attempting to clear a maze, should the teammates split up to search the maze faster, or keep together to simplify it and reach the end at the same time? However, this point is dependent entirely on the style of the HTF map; at some radar doesn't help at all, so it can be included.

Then, the actual functionality of the plugin:
  • match-based; when the 'match' starts, all new joining players are forced to obs and all current players on the map killed (same as leagues)
  • reaching the enemy base records a clear for that player; all team members reaching the enemy base records a point, as well as kills all (potential for multiple runs in a certain time frame)
  • if possible, different winning conditions that can be specified on the start, such as: most caps in a certain time frame, first to XY caps, best out of XY, ...
  • potential readjustments of the session and all-time HTF hiscores plugins
This is a simplified version of the concept. With the game still hosting quite a few HTF enthusiasts, I think it could be a means for some great games.

Please, do share your thoughts on the matter. And more than anything, if you are aware, mention if this would even be technically possible to create, or are there possible protocol limitations. Thank you.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Co-op HTF

Post by Zehra »

tainn wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 am Conceptual topic.

The idea or goal behind a co-op HTF plugin would be to allow some sort of teamwork or even matches between two teams (HTF in leagues, *wink-wink*), with the game mode being HTF.
This sort of has been already suggested, see the 2 way Htf thread.
tainn wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 am As of right now, the concept behind HTF is attempting to be the fastest individual to reach the end of the map, usually the enemy base, and capturing own flag to win the race. At co-op HTF, however, there wouldn't be a winning individual, only a winning team.
If this is the case, it barely makes it any different from regular CTF.
tainn wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 am A team would win after all of its members have successfully reached the end, and have managed to do so before every member of the opposing team.
This idea has been already implemented, see the following threads: All Hands On Deck, All Hands On Deck (AHOD)
First one is the original discussion and implementation, second one is a plug-in implementation of AHOD.
tainn wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 am To have this work in practicality, a few basic conditions would have to be met:
  • while the ending platform could be an enemy base, the runners must not hold their team flag in that case, as we don't want the run to end with the fastest tank, but the fastest team
  • there must be no possible way to reach the opponent team's base, only your own and the ending platform
  • obviously, there must be no shots or killing, as this is HTF
While not required, it would also improve teamwork and chat if there would be no radar. With it, new strategies would also open up. For example, when attempting to clear a maze, should the teammates split up to search the maze faster, or keep together to simplify it and reach the end at the same time? However, this point is dependent entirely on the style of the HTF map; at some radar doesn't help at all, so it can be included.
You may wish to discuss the above in the Map and Map Making forums, as you will probably get a better response there.
tainn wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 am Then, the actual functionality of the plugin:
  • match-based; when the 'match' starts, all new joining players are forced to obs and all current players on the map killed (same as leagues)
  • reaching the enemy base records a clear for that player; all team members reaching the enemy base records a point, as well as kills all (potential for multiple runs in a certain time frame)
  • if possible, different winning conditions that can be specified on the start, such as: most caps in a certain time frame, first to XY caps, best out of XY, ...
  • potential readjustments of the session and all-time HTF hiscores plugins
This is a simplified version of the concept. With the game still hosting quite a few HTF enthusiasts, I think it could be a means for some great games.

Please, do share your thoughts on the matter. And more than anything, if you are aware, mention if this would even be technically possible to create, or are there possible protocol limitations. Thank you.
The description you provide is somewhat vague, but I'll see what I can do here.

Murielle introduced team-switching in 2.x and we even have a toolkit for doing so in 2.4.x.
What should be noted though, is that it bypasses the API, so on platforms like Windows, a plug-in implementing this feature would not compile.
Team-switching is an actual feature in 2.6.x, but for now bypassing the API would be alright.

The idea and overall concept you are suggesting is could be done as a merger and implementation of the following plug-ins as a single one:
HoldTheFlag, AllHandsOnDeck, possibly koth and maybe playHistoryTracker.
(If this would be included within leagues, leagueOverSeer would need to be included as well.)

AHOD would be for the main mode and it would perform most, if not all of the needed calculations on positioning/tracking.
HoldTheFlag provides some of the more general score tracking and message announcements.
Koth for the 'clear' details which are somewhat vague in that regard.
PlayHistoryTracker for keeping track of the 'clear' details, which are somewhat confusing.

The above would cover the whole implementation, I believe.
However, in my opinion, this is far too excess and complicated, a much simpler idea could be field tested, to see if there is any interest.

The following should be more than enough:
AHOD and TimeLimit combo, game is timed, goal is to get all 'teammates' at end base.
It is a rather simple implementation, but should work alright and suite your purposes enough.

While I do note have the time to write such a plug-in, I would be able to offer advice on how to implement it.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread