Flag: Disguise

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Flag: Disguise

Post by tainn »

Just an idea of a flag that has been on my mind for a long time and might be interesting to see, albeit possibly impossible to implement.

Named Disguise, the flag would function similarly to Masquerade, except that the tank would be visible in its real colors through the screen, while the radar would display the masquerading (or should that be, disguising) color; in a sense, it would be the inversion of Masquerade.

A similar type of inversion can be seen with flags like Cloaking and Stealth.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Flag: Disguise

Post by Zehra »

The idea is interesting and I would have implemented it myself some time ago were it not for API limitations in creating custom flags.
This has mostly been resolved in the next major release, although it would not quite support what you are looking for, but this could probably be resolved by adding a new feature.
Still, I would not mind implementing this myself in the future, but this would be after having completed my pending projects.

Additionally this seems to have been suggested previously, but was rejected...

Code: Select all

Masquerade Radar(MR)

Description:Like masquerade but on the radar. Bullets still look like your team's and your color on the HUD is unchanged.

Reason:: Not all games have radar. 
This may have changed in the future, however.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
Ratfink
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratfink »

That reason is pretty silly, since by the same logic we shouldn't have Stealth, Invisible Bullet, or Jamming. Really I think a version of MQ that affects radar instead of the HUD would be more useful than the regular MQ, which rarely has any impact on gameplay whatsoever.
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

A flag like this would probably need to be implemented in the official game and not via a plug-in.
I've been working on a real-time stats site called BZList, please check it out! It is still in active development, so some features are missing and watch out for bugs.

GitHub · Website · Get in touch · Stalk Me
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

We need to get away from flags like this in general, which involve blindly trusting other users' clients to show (fake) information or to hide information from the user. Flags like Stealth, Cloaking, Masquerade, Jamming, Colorblindness, etc. all depend on this blind trust. Going forward, flags like this should be designed within the limits of what the protocol can enforce. For example, I would like to eventually see the Stealth and Cloaking flag effects combined into one flag (so the server can then just stop sending position updates to other players), and then give the flag some other caveat (for example, a 2-3 second engage/disengage period, with an inability to fire while cloaked).
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Why not simply grant the API complete control over flag effects and abilities?
Instead of simply "merging" them which is another word for removal, why not grant a better API instead?
If we can control multiple variables, flags which have been suggested over the years can easily be made and invented.
Additionally, quite a few people have been interested in seeing some new features and it could grant what you would like as well.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread