Plugin idea: 1v1

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Plugin idea: 1v1

Post by L4m3r » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:02 am

I hate it when I'm on a server with one other player, waiting for more to join, when my opponent gets L or GM or WG and doesn't follow the 1v1 rules... I'm usually forced to leave before more players arrive because I get tired of being nailed over and over.

So, I thought it would be nice to have a plugin that would enforce 1v1 rules when only two players are present. Simply have it automatically drop flag on kill, or just do a flag reset.

I wouldn't think it would be too complicated, and a lot of less-popular servers could use it.

any of you coder geniuses want to take it on? :D
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.

I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:11 am

Yeah - and make it "always on" so when its two people, it does the flag drop.... but stops when it is no longer 1 on 1
...This has been a recording.

RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:11 am

I thought of that a few weeks ago. It would be a great idea, and I know how to do it. The only problem is the time factor... you have to talk me into it.

[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:21 am

Is the rule, basically, dont use flag when its 1vs1?

What if its 1vs1vs1? Same? Or 2vs1vs1? or 2vs2vs1? Is one player one a team enough to activate the rule?
I don't need huge pictures here.

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Great for small servers.

Post by optic delusion » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:08 pm

This would be very nice for small servers. I won't run a 4 team map (with team flags) because of this problem.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.

iwcylabumf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by iwcylabumf » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:22 pm

My server (3v3 - Small Map) really needs something like this. I've been encouraging players to abide by this rule, but having it automatically on would be much better.

I think having any third player should turn the rule off for two reasons:

1. In cases where there are three players all on different teams, if player A kills player B and everyone loses their flags it gives C an unfair advantage if A used a powerful flag for his kill. There is also room for impromptu teamwork against whoever is winning in this situation.

2. If there are only two teams, I believe that players are assigned to the losing team when they join a game, so there's no need to worry about 2v1 being excessively unfair.

Suggestions: The plugin should announce when the rule goes into effect, and when it ends. It should also do a flag reset, for cases where people are playing 1v1 Capture-the-Flag.

As for talking someone into it all I can offer is help with testing and much respect to whoever gives it a try. If you are in or around NYC, I'll also buy you a beer or seven.

RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:08 pm

Here's what I consider the abstract for the plugin:
  • When only 2 players are on the server, on a death event, the living player's flag will be dropped
  • Observers do not count as players
As you can see, the rules are pretty simple. Maybe I'll get to doing it soon, but with all the API bumping going on, it probably won't be out until 2.0.4.