Idea - Stdin/Stdout Plugin

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Idea - Stdin/Stdout Plugin

Post by Tropican8 »

Hey all,

I've been giving some thought to plugins, and it has occured to me that a plugin that could write to stdin or read from stdout would be extremely useful. Is this possible?
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

.. What would you use it for?

Janitor was a plugin i was working on that allows you to invoke an arbitrary executable redirecting output to the user. There is a bunch of settings that allows you to set restrictions on when to execute (to avoid abuse).

It didnt redirect stuff from the user to the plugin, as i stopped working on it (I dont run a server, dont plan to either). My problem was, that i didnt have a "killer setup" for it and wasnt able to explain why (i think) it was a cool idea :)

If you got uses for it, i can update it, so it is able to run again (api changes) and continue on it once i get the time.

I have uploaded The documentation so you can see what it can and cannot do. At the bottom there is an example setup with a "real" setup. Let me know what you think of it.
I don't need huge pictures here.
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

And btw: i wont work on windows. Only tested under linux, but should be able to work on most unix-like platforms.
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

meacan wrote:And btw: i wont work on windows. Only tested under linux, but should be able to work on most unix-like platforms.
I use Debian :)
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

meacan wrote:And btw: i wont work on windows. Only tested under linux, but should be able to work on most unix-like platforms.
Funny typo. I meant "it wont work..", but its still true :-)

Want me to look it over and make it work again?
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

meacan wrote:.. What would you use it for?

If you got uses for it, i can update it, so it is able to run again (api changes) and continue on it once i get the time.
My initial idea was to set up one of those chat AI programs on the server. QuantumBeep pretended to be an advanced fortune-telling bot once, this would allow me to make such a bot reality. Also it has come to my attention that a taco stand has rented the legendary space on Planet MoFo's welcome screen, and this might help the drive-through.

Other uses also exist that I realized:

I would be able to control a console media player from bzflag with such a program. (Or others can for me if they know what tunes I have)

I could start up a server (with conf file) from the client, the "start server" option just doesn't cut it.

I could let people control Frotz with bzflag, so people can play text adventures together while getting fragged.

I could let people use some sort of stdout-based chat program (does this exist yet?) directly from BZFlag (minimizing gets annoying when people IM me)

I could manage my WHOLE system from BZFlag

Now I'm only on BZFlag and running my server three nights a week (fri, sat, sun) So my uses aren't immediate. I'm need more flavour for my server, and thought such a plugin could add some.
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

meacan wrote:
Funny typo. I meant "it wont work..", but its still true :-)

Want me to look it over and make it work again?
Please. Even if all the stuff I mentioned won't work, I'm liking that 4-team CTF skycolor thing in your example config.
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

Tropican8 wrote: Please. Even if all the stuff I mentioned won't work, I'm liking that 4-team CTF skycolor thing in your example config.
Here http://dennis.moellegaard.dk/projects/B ... 0.7.tar.gz. Unpack it to your plugins directory and see if it compiles.

It got debug enabled, . Try to see if it is useful for you, but let me warn you - it havnt been properly tested. But if you find it useful I'll surely give it priority again :)
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

Compiles fine. Everything seems to work as well.