max connection per ip limit?

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
Post Reply
User avatar
khazhyk
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:40 pm
Location: Somewhere over there.
Contact:

max connection per ip limit?

Post by khazhyk » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:34 pm

sometimes people add in 10 clients on the same ip and that gets annoying, i have an idea for a max connections limit set my /set _maxConnLimit # and to allow more connections /set _allowMoreConn <ip>

just an idea
Image

Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:17 pm

Re: max connection per ip limit?

Post by Ice Wewe » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:16 am

me1 wrote:sometimes people add in 10 clients on the same ip and that gets annoying, i have an idea for a max connections limit set my /set _maxConnLimit # and to allow more connections /set _allowMoreConn <ip>

just an idea

What happens when a bunch of bored kids try to log on from a school, and you have this limit set. There are going to be some very mad kids...

User avatar
khazhyk
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:40 pm
Location: Somewhere over there.
Contact:

Re: max connection per ip limit?

Post by khazhyk » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:07 am

Ice Wewe wrote:
me1 wrote:sometimes people add in 10 clients on the same ip and that gets annoying, i have an idea for a max connections limit set my /set _maxConnLimit # and to allow more connections /set _allowMoreConn <ip>

just an idea

What happens when a bunch of bored kids try to log on from a school, and you have this limit set. There are going to be some very mad kids...
duh... one kid could say "some kids in our school are playing bzfalg under the same LAN, could you allow them to play too?"
Image

User avatar
Matt?
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:15 pm
Location: st. john wa
Contact:

Post by Matt? » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:22 am

why would more than one client per ip matter? if someone has a good enough connection 10 players would be perfectly fine....
Image

User avatar
Matt?
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:15 pm
Location: st. john wa
Contact:

Re: max connection per ip limit?

Post by Matt? » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:24 am

me1 wrote:
Ice Wewe wrote:
me1 wrote:sometimes people add in 10 clients on the same ip and that gets annoying, i have an idea for a max connections limit set my /set _maxConnLimit # and to allow more connections /set _allowMoreConn <ip>

just an idea

What happens when a bunch of bored kids try to log on from a school, and you have this limit set. There are going to be some very mad kids...
duh... one kid could say "some kids in our school are playing bzfalg under the same LAN, could you allow them to play too?"
some times there is no admin on a server.


also at my school...dunno if all do.....but there is a firewall set so that the only server's you can find are the local ones.
Image

User avatar
khazhyk
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:40 pm
Location: Somewhere over there.
Contact:

Post by khazhyk » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:11 pm

cuz some idiot arived at a server once and put up 5 clients for the same ip and was annoying all the admins
Image

User avatar
Matt?
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:15 pm
Location: st. john wa
Contact:

Post by Matt? » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:16 pm

ok...i know it does get anoying but just kick him and if u do that all of his bot's leave
Image

User avatar
khazhyk
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:40 pm
Location: Somewhere over there.
Contact:

Post by khazhyk » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:21 pm

it was 5 clients and they kept rejoining
Image

User avatar
Matt?
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:15 pm
Location: st. john wa
Contact:

Post by Matt? » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:22 pm

ahhh ok i get it now....sry i was confused :S.......
Image

User avatar
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:21 am
Contact:

Re: max connection per ip limit?

Post by The Red Baron » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:37 pm

Ice Wewe wrote:
me1 wrote:sometimes people add in 10 clients on the same ip and that gets annoying, i have an idea for a max connections limit set my /set _maxConnLimit # and to allow more connections /set _allowMoreConn <ip>

just an idea

What happens when a bunch of bored kids try to log on from a school, and you have this limit set. There are going to be some very mad kids...
with gigantic list of servers.... They can very easily find another server to play on....
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!

JPT
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: Germany

Post by JPT » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:08 pm

I would advice to limit it to 3 or 2.
There are very much home networks with DSL connection.
And if there is a BZFlag party, they choose one server, they like. And if only 1 of 3 is able to play, the fun is away.
You just have to disable bots on your server.

User avatar
Matt?
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:15 pm
Location: st. john wa
Contact:

Post by Matt? » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:24 pm

JPT wrote:I would advice to limit it to 3 or 2.
There are very much home networks with DSL connection.
And if there is a BZFlag party, they choose one server, they like. And if only 1 of 3 is able to play, the fun is away.
You just have to disable bots on your server.
if someone is having a bzflag party the funnest thin to do is staryt a private server to play. that way u can talk smack to the people u know and not get killed by expert's
Image

Post Reply