New Zombie GameType Pre-Alpha

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

New Zombie GameType Pre-Alpha

Post by Tropican8 »

Description

Based on one of my bizarre ideas on IRC, L4m3r has designed an entirely new gamemode. Known as Zombie (Virus in sub-pre-alpha tests), the goal of this game is very simple. One player in the game is a "Zombie", he will appear as a zoned tank, but I assure you he can shoot you. Once shot you will also become a Zombie, with the goal to shoot the remaining "Human" tanks. The last Human tank is the winner.

Now if that didn't make sense, think of it this way, Zoned tanks and NonZoned tanks are teams, not PZ states, and if you are shot, as you will see, you will switch teams. Last one on the NonZoned team wins.

Now, if THAT didn't make sense, read this entry on Wikipedia and apply it to BZFlag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag#Zombie_tag

I repeat, do not think of Zoned and NonZoned as the use of the PZ flag, you will confuse yourself!

Maps

There are currently two maps, L4m3r's Black Box, an impossible maze, and a modified version of Adrenaline. To make a map, a plugin recompile is currently necessary.

Where to Play

acidbox.zapto.org:4317 has the modded version of Adrenaline up. Let me remind you this is still in alpha. With less than 3 players, it simply does not work (think about it, it wouldn't be different than 1v1). Also there is the problem of the Zombie for the next round (The guy who won last time by the way) leaving, making there be no Zombie. When this happens, someone rejoin or self-destruct.

Interested Coders and Current Limitations

Originally my idea wanted to make use of a modded Rabbit mode, meaning Zombies spawn as rabbits and normal players as hunters. Unfortunately, with BZFlag's current implementation of rabbits in Rabbit Mode, you cannot have more than one without a clientmod. With that in mind, L4m3r thought of using PZ instead. The disadvantages of this are obvious, all objects for all players have to be drivethrough and shootthough, and only maze maps are suitable.

For 2.1x, we would like it if this can be added as a real gamemode with rabbits, ie: no confusing PZ, solid objects, no api murder.

Devels, I hope one of you is interested enough to do this. Since BZFlag is an open-source interest-motivated game, we understand and definitely won't complain if you think we are killing BZFlag and don't want to help.

Questions and Comments

That's what this thread is for. If you are not understanding the game concept, please do a "/help howtoplay" while on the server or read the messages.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

if someone does code it up in the game, it would be fun to have some sort of 'base' where players cannot be caught. this could create a bulldog style game where players have to run across the map without getting caught.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

Quite fun.

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

its fun, i liked it :)
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

different, interesting and fun. you have no radar btw.
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

i love it!!!
and theres suposed to be no radar
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

I know this is an old thread, but is this game still around? I was reading, discovered this thread, and the gameplay sounds really neat!
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

I never saw this thread, though I did try this game style once, and it was very fun. As for Spazzy's idea of having a base area, why don't we have a start and a finish area, and the last NonZombie player to get to the base safely becomes a Zombie. and then the process repeats, but going the opposite way. and you could perhaps specify an order to bases (so you can have more than two bases).

might be interesting.
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

TangenT wrote:I never saw this thread, though I did try this game style once, and it was very fun. As for Spazzy's idea of having a base area, why don't we have a start and a finish area, and the last NonZombie player to get to the base safely becomes a Zombie. and then the process repeats, but going the opposite way. and you could perhaps specify an order to bases (so you can have more than two bases).

might be interesting.
First of all, that's REALLY confusing. Especially considering 90% of the people who logged onto the pre-alpha had no idea what was going on as it is.

Second, the underpinnings for switchable teams (would be less confusing and eliminate all current limitations) are already in 2.1x (Well, I think Jeff said that at some point), so there's no point in working on the current implementation.

If there's interest though I can put the version we have now back up.
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

yeah! :D
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

I sure hope so. It sounds quite fun.