ArenaCTF

Expand and mod your server.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

ArenaCTF

Post by Zehra »

Arena CTF plug-in.

Description: Emulates the classic style of CTF from other games.
Plug-in: ArenaCTF
License: CC0

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: ArenaCTF

Post by alfa1 »

Can you give an explanation?
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

While waiting for the OP to reply, I think I know the right answer.

Points to General Discussion -> CTF as a sole focus
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Explanation:
Players try to capture team flags, while having their own team flag on their own base.
Running over their own flag teleports it back to their own base.
Players must be the last ones to have reached their own team flag as well.

@trpted
The thread you linked is related to another idea, but it has not been implemented yet.
When it is implemented, it will be announced with reference to the existing thread.

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

Can you explain more that "players must be the last ones to have reached their own team flag as well"?
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

For example, if there is red and green teams.
If red grabs greens flag, but then holds or drops it, green will be unable to capture reds flag.(Or any teams flag for that matter.)
However, if a green player grabs/reaches their own flag, they then will be able to capture the flag.
(Their flag is automatically teleported back to their own base, so no need to "run" the flag back.)

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

Imagine 4 teams. A, B, C and D.

- A and B lose their own flag;
- A and B get C and D flags, respectively;
- A recovers their own flag;
- after it, B recovers their own flag;
- "players must be the last ones to have reached their own team flag".

Questions:

1) Only B can capture since they are the last team recovering their own flag?
2) Do you control this by the plug-in? Do you track effectively until 4 teams at once?
3) I don't know this playstyle (if it is known; seems something relatively new), but, is it not this last requirement (I understand the other 2, and seem fine) too demanding for all players? What will you do with A? Will they not be able to capture by the plug-in? And, after B captures, will they be able? Seems too complex!

I am just trying to help.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I think he means that your own flag must be on your base in order for you to capture another team’s flag.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

@alfa1

Actually it is simple and macsforme is right about how it works with regards to team flag capturing.

As for your questions, from 2 up to 4 teams, the plug-in properly handles things for flag capturing.
In the simplest essence of the mode: Green can't capture the flag, if another team has reached their flag, but if a green player reaches their flag, they can then capture the flag. (Green may be substituted with any other team which has team flags for same effect.)

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

"Players try to capture team flags, while having their own team flag on their own base.
Running over their own flag teleports it back to their own base.
Players must be the last ones to have reached their own team flag as well."

I see 3 possible interpretations of the 3rd requirement:

1) The first interpretation I thought of, which I asked about before, is: considering there were 2 or more capturing teams at once, a certain capturing team should be the last one, in relation with the absolute match time, to have touched their own flag, comparing it with the other/s. This does not seem your interpretation, according to the 2 received answers.
2) Considering *only 1 capturing team*, this team should be the last one, comparing it with their opponent/s, on touching this team's flag. Example: team A gets team B's flag but drops it over team B's base. If B is willing to capture, this accomplishes with requirement 1 but not with 3.
3) if 1) and 2) are not what you meant then it is, at start, redundant, because, in this case, the team which returns their own flag has to necessarely touch it to do it, but, later, it is confusing because, as we are seeing, there are other 2 interpretations.

I think you just meant 3), then better delete that 3rd requirement. And don't forget to add a README file for explanation. :)

Seems a fun playstyle; good job!
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Originally, I was going say this as an addition of the third phrase."Even if a the flag is still on the base, if grabbed by a player of another team, it has not last been reached by the team.". (Seemingly slightly redundant, it wasn't done.) :?

A readme will later be planned for ArenaCTF.
When proper documentation is created for it, it will be added. :wink:

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
Ratfink
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratfink »

Very cool to see this kind of CTF implemented in BZFlag. I might give it a try on one of my own maps to see how it works with the rest of BZFlag's gameplay.