anti_tk_cheat: prevent cheaters from getting you tk kicked

Expand and mod your server.
pacman87
Private First Class
Private First Class

anti_tk_cheat: prevent cheaters from getting you tk kicked

Post by pacman87 »

Several times on dub pillbox, I've seen a player join, and have their client tell the server that their teammates were tking them, so that all their teammates were kicked. This plugin aims to prevent this (or at least make it more difficult/time consuming).

Here's the README:

anti_tk_cheat plugin version 1.0.0 (February 24, 2008)

Author: pacman87
=============================================

OVERVIEW:
This plugin is intended to prevent cheaters from triggering a server's auto-tk kick on another player on the cheater's team by repeatedly telling the server that the other player has killed the cheater.

HOW IT WORKS:
Basically, I check to see if the same player has died twice in a row, and if that's the case, I check whether the time between the two deaths is shorter than the server's _explodeTime. The time between two deaths is at least _explodeTime, as a player needs to spawn before that player can be killed again.

USAGE:
/atkc ban
this command will ban detected cheaters for 24 hours, requires the SHORTBAN permission
/atkc kick
this command will only kick the detected cheater, and requires the KICK permission

The default behavior is to kick a detected cheater.
Attachments
anti_tk_cheat_src.zip
Source Code
(9.49 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
anti_tk_cheat_win.zip
*.dll file and README for Windows
(11.42 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

as of right now, 2.0 SVN has been fixed to not allow players to respawn before _explodeTime has passed. This cheat should no longer be possible, at least not with a frequency greater that 1/_explodeTime.

You may have to re-work your plug-in to cope with that. Sorry. ;) On the other hand, thank you for bringing the spawn issue to my attention.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
pacman87
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pacman87 »

Well, the check for death frequency vs spawn frequency is the only thing this plugin does, and since that's now in bzfs, I'd recommend just updating to the latest 2.0 version.

One problem I didnt' notice when writing it is that it will only work if the same player is targeted for each false (tk) death. If there's enough interest in this plugin vs upgrading bzfs, I'll rework it to avoid this problem. Just let me know if you want it.

also, thanks to L4m3r and the other devs on #bzflag for fixing this in bzfs.