"GunGame Style" plugin

Expand and mod your server.
Trogdor BurNinat0R
Private First Class
Private First Class

"GunGame Style" plugin

Post by Trogdor BurNinat0R »

This emulates "GunGame" from CS and GoldenEye Source style of play. It's very simple, but I think it's fun - especially with different skill level players on the same server.

This plugin changes how flags work - players don't pick them up or drop them anymore. All players start out with Laser flag. On each successive kill achieved, their flag is "upgarded" with a less powerful one, eventually to bad flags. The first player to kill someone with the last flag wins. That's basically it. Suicide results in going back one flag.

In traditional GunGame the last "gun" is a knife. So here the last flag is Steamroller, but you have to smush your opponent to win.

As soon as a winner is declared, the game restarts. Some flags are only enabled once a certain # of players have joined. A leaderboard tracks how many wins each player has.

One issue I've discovered (trial and error) is that flags need to exist in the world for bz_givePlayerFlag() to work. So if you're setting this up you have to make sure you have enough of each flag in the map or when you start bzfs...

Optic Delusion has been awesomely hosting this plugin over at planet mofo for over a month and things are generally stable. I think it pairs well on their "passion of the FFA" map. It's online *usually*. Search for "mofo" in the servers list (use '/' to search) and if you see something about gungame, that's it. Once 3 or 4 people log in others seem to find it and join.

I believe this will work with any 2.4.x version, though I have only tested it with 2.4.2 and 2.4.3

The code and documentation lives here:
https://github.com/danryder/bzGunGameStyle
Trogdor BurNinat0R
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: "GunGame Style" plugin

Post by Trogdor BurNinat0R »

Howdy all!

I might have some time to dust this off if there is interest. Also if anyone would be interested in hosting it to get some user feedback. :D

Zehra had some interesting suggestions, & reminded me that sometimes lag/jitter combined with what I do to take and assign flags could cause players to be kicked (but it seems to work well in a LAN setting IIRC). Upon review I see Optic Delusion had also relayed this to me waaay back when this was developed.

So feel free to chime in with ideas :idea-alt: or let me know if you want to try it out.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: "GunGame Style" plugin

Post by Zehra »

GunGame reminded me a lot of Progressive Flag Mode and some of the issues we had were related. (Mostly with "flag zapping".)
In version 2.0 of Progressive Flag Mode, Optic solved the issues with lag or jitter. The same solution could probably work here, although I'm also tempted by the possibility of where instead of right away "zapping" or "removing" flags, we could let players hold the flag, but they can only move up a single rank at a time, but I'm unsure of how much that would alter the game play.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread