Building plug-ins on Linux on 2.4.3+

Expand and mod your server.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Building plug-ins on Linux on 2.4.3+

Post by allejo »

The process to building plug-ins on Linux has changed for 2.4.4. Instead of directly adding the plug-in to the Linux build system, it will now be a configuration setting. See commit 2a0f128 and commit cdcf8ad

What does this mean?
Instead of executing the addToBuild.sh script, you will now be specifying which custom plug-ins you want to compile with ./configure using the --enable-custom-plugins option or the --enable-custom-plugins-file option instead of adding it to the Linux build directly.

Why did you do this?
Even though adding a plug-in to the Linux build was simple and quick, it was difficult to update certain files from Git after changes were made to configure.ac. So, instead of having to modify files tracked by Git to add a plug-in to the Linux build system, it's easier to specify them with ./configure.

Does this mean I have to specify each plug-in every. single. time. I run ./configure?
If you use --enable-custom-plugins, yes. If you use --enable-custom-plugins-file, then no. Using the latter option, you may create a separate file and list all of your third-party plug-ins and it will be read. If you would like to comment out a plug-in, using the # character will cause configure.ac to ignore that specified plug-in.

plugins/plugins.txt
This file will list all of the third-party plug-ins I want as part of my build, each on a new line.

Code: Select all

AllHandsOnDeck
LeagueOverseer
#ThisPluginWillBeIgnored
And finally... All you would have to run is this:

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-custom-plugins-file=plugins/plugins.txt