stagedSceneGenerator

Expand and mod your server.
blast
General
General

stagedSceneGenerator

Post by blast »

I've been working on a plugin that would help with creating screenshots for the BZFlag website redesign. This plugin allows setting up a stage of tanks and shots at fixed locations. So, for example, I can get something like this:

by_our_powers_combined_thumb.png
by_our_powers_combined_thumb.png (210.6 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
by_our_powers_combined.png
(821.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet

A configuration file defines the locations of the tanks and shots that should be staged. That gets loaded by the plugin, and then a game client is joined with enough solo bots to populate all the staged tanks. Some tricks are used to get the tanks/shots to hold still. Tanks are spawned slightly in the air and the gravity is set very low.

As for shots, the shot speed is set very low as well as the shot range. There are some side effects with this, especially with the experimental quality level. For instance, the experimental super bullet shot length is based on the shot speed, so this looks wrong with this plugin. There may be some issues with things like shot tails/trails. I also don't (yet) have anything hooked up to give tanks a flag, so as you can see in the example above it looks like they are shooting laser without a flag.

The code is located at GitHub. The plugin is released under the 2-clause Simplified BSD license. See the README file for more information.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: stagedSceneGenerator

Post by tainn »

This certainly seems interesting.

When you mention this plugin being of help with creating screenshots for the bz website redesign, would that perhaps mean that the screenshots included there would change actively and automatically to project recent events and happenings on maps, or just being of help in general?
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

I really like the idea of this plug-in. It brings together a several ideas into a single design.
For map makers out there, this should offer the ability to create great screenshots and outline designs of maps posted.
(Tanks spawning and flag zones can be highlighted, scenes of what likely happens in battle can also be created...etc)
The possibilities this plug-in offers, along with the ones which haven't been explored, are something I'm looking forward to.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It's not going to be any kind of automatic system. I just mean that I'll be able to set up various scenarios and scenes and then take screenshots (mainly for some of the page banners). For instance, I can mess around with different settings to change the visual look while scene the same.

bzfi0014.png
(1.51 MiB) Not downloaded yet
bzfi0016.png
(1.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet
bzfi0018.png
(1.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)