We'd like to officially change this and bring official support for colorblindness. The goal is to have awesome colorblind support for 2.6; however, 2.6 is still really far away. This means we'd like to experiment and test colorblind support in BZFlag 2.4 either as a full release or development releases for players to download. This would allow us to learn what works and what doesn't in order to apply all that knowledge to 2.6.
How will it work?
- You'll open BZFlag
- Go to Options > Display Settings > Colorblind Mode
- Set your form of colorblindness
- BZFlag will automatically update the colors and textures to be better suited to your type of colorblindness.
How can you help?
There's only so much we can accomplish or test with colorblindness simulations, so we will be needing your help with testing and feedback. The more the merrier!
If you have a form of colorblindness or struggle to differentiate between colors BZFlag uses do one or all of the following:
- Subscribe to this topic to get a notification whenever there are new posts
- Reply to this thread or send me a PM saying that you'd be interested in testing any development builds
- I'll be keeping a list of players to send messages to with updates to new clients
- Reply to this thread with what color related components and what colors you struggle with
- For example, "I can't differentiate red vs green on the scoreboard and radar that's why I prefer red vs blue." The more information you give us, the better we'll be able to support colorblindness.
When can I expect this awesomeness?
We rarely have strict release dates or an actual schedule with BZFlag releases so I don't want to promise a specific date. However, this is a project I'd like to work on over the summer so it depends on much feedback we get and the amount of support this project gets.
Thanks for tanking with BZFlag!