v1.10.2 has been released

Important stuff goes here.
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

v1.10.2 has been released

Post by MrApathyCream »

BZFlag v1.10.2 has been released.
This is a bug fix version that fixes most of the really annoying bugs found so far in 1.10.0.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bzflag
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

As is typical of the BZflag development team -- the Windows version source code does not compile in Microsoft Visual C++ V6. Problems with socklen_t* and stranscmp (which supposedly is only needed for the MacOS). And, the project structure the BZflag development team has established is retarded. Other than that -- BZflag 10.whatever (stupid version numbering system also) is great.

Merry Christmas to all of you at the BZflag development team. Maybe you will receive a gift of intelligence and see that this is a Windows world....not a Linux world.
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

hehe, not good idea to slam them....after all, bz is more in tune with *nix than it will ever be for M$ products.

I for one, refuse to accept what M$ offers for an O.S. - thus Billy Boy will not be getting any of my money any time soon.

Happy Holidays to all
Defman
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

hey man, go easy.

These developers work alot for your enjoyment and for free. and its not a team persay. Just a bunch of freelancers who enjoy the game and want to others enjoy it also, so help them out by being grateful.

Have a Nice day,

a Grateful Red Baron
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

Defman wrote:hehe, not good idea to slam them....after all, bz is more in tune with *nix than it will ever be for M$ products.

I for one, refuse to accept what M$ offers for an O.S. - thus Billy Boy will not be getting any of my money any time soon.

Happy Holidays to all
Defman
It is time for a reality check. *nix operating systems have advantages and disadvantages. MS Windows has advantages and disadvantages. All I ask is that someone who understands MS Windows be on the development team (btw, they call themselves a development team) or don't bother to port a version of BZflag to Windows.
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

Red Baron wrote:hey man, go easy.

These developers work alot for your enjoyment and for free. and its not a team persay. Just a bunch of freelancers who enjoy the game and want to others enjoy it also, so help them out by being grateful.

Have a Nice day,

a Grateful Red Baron
How much they work and whether or not they do it for free is not my concern. My concern is that if you do something, and present it to the public, you better do a damn good job. And, this development team does a half-ass job and hides behind the skirts of guys like you who make excuses for them. Do a good job or stop!!!! That is reality. But, then again these guys are only kids who don't have a clue about structured programming.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

lose the 'tude man. Just get the already compiled version and don't bother with open source.

or,

Politely ask some one who understands MS to code it properly. you are making demands like the rahja of maja.

These are people who are taking time away from families even, jobs and their free personal time to further the betterment of BzFlag. Which they have done. and humans are mortal and liable to error, and perhaps have made a mistake. lose the attitude man.

p.S. how long have you been playing bzflag?
bryjen
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Just feeding the troll

Post by bryjen »

jweeks wrote:...the Windows version source code does not compile...
Try the binary package for Windows.
jweeks wrote:...in Microsoft Visual C++ V6.
I believe the Windows-based developers have moved on to VC7 or whatever is .NExT
jweeks wrote:...this is a Windows world....not a Linux world.
Windows runs on a large portion of the world's PCs, but definately not all of them. The developers use Linux, Mac OSX, and even IRIX, as well as Windows.

Merry Christmas
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

As is typical of the BZflag development team -- the Windows version source code does not compile in Microsoft Visual C++ V6. Problems with socklen_t* and stranscmp (which supposedly is only needed for the MacOS). And, the project structure the BZflag development team has established is retarded. Other than that -- BZflag 10.whatever (stupid version numbering system also) is great.

Merry Christmas to all of you at the BZflag development team. Maybe you will receive a gift of intelligence and see that this is a Windows world....not a Linux world.
Do you have anything constructive to say about why, perhaps, socklen_t* and stranscmp has issues? Have you filed a bug report about this?

What is it about the project stucture that is 'retarded'? Why don't you develop a better project structure and contribute it for the rest of us to admire and feel awed by?

Major.Minor is a stupid version numbering scheme? Ok, whatever you say. I suppose you would rather bzflag 1 or bzflag 10 or something along those lines? Again, why don't you, in your infinite wisdom, and seemingly unending grasp of all things upon this planet - make a suggestion for something better, rather than just ranting off about it?

Whether this is a windows world or a linux world is entirely irrelevant, and more importantly, you are insulting people whom you don't know, and a project to which you do not (afaik) contribute. Frankly, that is uncalled for, and as administrator of this board (among others), I will not tolerate it.
Apologies are in order.
How much they work and whether or not they do it for free is not my concern. My concern is that if you do something, and present it to the public, you better do a damn good job. And, this development team does a half-ass job and hides behind the skirts of guys like you who make excuses for them. Do a good job or stop!!!! That is reality. But, then again these guys are only kids who don't have a clue about structured programming.
Bah. If you write code that is so much better, then by all means, contribute to the code base and enlighten the developers on their mistakes. I'm sure that it would be illuminating for all parties involved.

Open source projects are constantly under development, as I'm sure a code guru like yourself knows. As such, you release, find buggage, fix buggage as best you can, and re-release. Such is life. I (we) don't pay for this game, and I am perfectly fine with the level of development that goes into it. Until a benefactor comes along who is willing to pay the devs for full-time (or even part-time) work on bzflag, the state of development will stay as it is.

Of course, you are more than welcome to submit patches and bug fixes yourself. And I'm sure your coding capability is more than sufficient to do such (at least, your ego would make one assume as much).

Get off your high horse and contribute, but don't knock the guys and gals who do contribute now.

Happy holidays everyone else.

Peace
Fiber
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- A. Einstein
Registered Linux User: 296546
Machines: 181776 181777 181778
Homonculus
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Homonculus »

jweeks wrote: How much they work and whether or not they do it for free is not my concern. My concern is that if you do something, and present it to the public, you better do a damn good job. And, this development team does a half-ass job and hides behind the skirts of guys like you who make excuses for them. Do a good job or stop!!!!
Wow, I hardly know what to say. The development team makes somtething, and they let you download it and play it for free, and you call them retarded and say that they do a half-ass job. I'm glad to see that there are grateful people i this world. :roll: Seeing how you didn't pay for BZFlag, and it's "half assed" and the develpment team is "retarded", there is no reason for you to keep the game. Don't worry, we won't mind if you never say goodbye.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the source zip is busted, it was not built by me this time. I am working on geting a new one up.

All the other windows srouce zips have built.

On a note, there are now 2 VC6 projects, 1 for normal VC6 and one if you have updated the platform SDK and get that socketlen error.

jweeks, tone it down. This is the first time the windows source hasn't worked, and it was only cus I wasn't around (xmass and all ).
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the file, bzflag-1.10.2.20031224.zip is on sourceforge, and has all the files needed for all windows build systems.

If you have a problem building with the normal VC6 projects, use the VC6_sdk projects, as you have probably updated your platform SDK.
ImageJeffM
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

jweeks wrote: My concern is that if you do something, and present it to the public, you better do a damn good job.
um, somebody make sure B.G. gets this message....
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

who's B.G?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

he meant bill gates. welcome to the off topic section
ImageJeffM
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by MrApathyCream »

jweeks wrote:
It is time for a reality check. *nix operating systems have advantages and disadvantages. MS Windows has advantages and disadvantages. All I ask is that someone who understands MS Windows be on the development team (btw, they call themselves a development team) or don't bother to port a version of BZflag to Windows.
jweeks, you should note that the windows and mac versions were posted ahead of the nix versions. Not that I am intending to blow my own horn, but I work solely on windows and have probably contributed more lines of code to this release than anyone. The point is the windows side is represented. If there are errors, it is because I am a bone head, not that the *nix developers are shutting others out. All of them are superior proggy types, and all around good fellas, to boot.
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

Patlabor221 wrote:the file, bzflag-1.10.2.20031224.zip is on sourceforge, and has all the files needed for all windows build systems.

If you have a problem building with the normal VC6 projects, use the VC6_sdk projects, as you have probably updated your platform SDK.
Sure it is. Where is bzflag-1.10.2.20031224.zip hidden?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bzfl ... p?download

it sometimes takes a bit for it to get to all the SF mirrors.

Now really, stop being a jerk.

If your really concerned about developing, get CVS access.
ImageJeffM
michaelh20
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by michaelh20 »

I'm also contributing a tiny little bit on the windows side and I am using VC++ 6. The project files were fixed not very recently thanks to Patl who is the main one who maintains them. As for the code not be terrifically organized, people are always updating and modifying it to make it more intelligent. If you wanted to contribute in that same way you certainly could.
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

Patlabor221 wrote:http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bzfl ... p?download

it sometimes takes a bit for it to get to all the SF mirrors.

Now really, stop being a jerk.

If your really concerned about developing, get CVS access.
When I compile the Vc6 folder I get these 8 errors:

Linking...
bzflag.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall ActionBinding::resetBindings(void)" (?resetBindings@ActionBinding@@QAEXXZ)
menus.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall ActionBinding::resetBindings(void)" (?resetBindings@ActionBinding@@QAEXXZ)
bzflag.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall ActionBinding::getFromBindings(void)" (?getFromBindings@ActionBinding@@QAEXXZ)
bzflag.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "private: __thiscall ActionBinding::ActionBinding(void)" (??0ActionBinding@@AAE@XZ)
menus.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "private: __thiscall ActionBinding::ActionBinding(void)" (??0ActionBinding@@AAE@XZ)
menus.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall ActionBinding::associate(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char
>,class std::allocator<char> >,bool)" (?associate@ActionBinding@@QAEXV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@0_N@Z)
menus.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall ActionBinding::deassociate(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >)" (?deassociate@ActionBinding@@QAEXV?$basic_string@DU?$
char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@Z)
..\..\src\bzflag/bzflag.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 5 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

bzflag.exe - 8 error(s), 0 warning(s)

When I compile the VC6_sdk folder I get these errors:

--------------------Configuration: net - Win32 Release--------------------
Compiling...
Address.cxx
multicast.cxx
C:\Windows\Desktop\bzflag\src\net\multicast.cxx(431) : error C2065: 'socklen_t' : undeclared identifier
C:\Windows\Desktop\bzflag\src\net\multicast.cxx(431) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'
network.cxx
Pack.cxx
Ping.cxx
Generating Code...
Error executing cl.exe.

bzflag.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Why is this not working? It must be my fault because you have assured me that one of the VC6 compiles will work. I think socklen has to be defined in config.h. Yes or no?

Thank you.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

hmmm looks like you have a difrent platform sdk that we have never encountered.

If you add;
#define int socklen_t to the sdk version of config. h
does it work?

if that does can you send me your WS2TCPIP.H header file so I can compare it to the ones I have here. Just atach it to an e-mail or a Private message.

It sucks, as there is no version info in the various platform SDK headers for networking, and no easy way to make the compiler define it if it's not there allready, as we include config.h before the socket header. I am trying to find a clean way to make it work. I don't like having the 2 projects, they are hopefully just a stopgap so that this release could get out.

The comunity on this game is very small, so geting non devs to test is like pulling freaking teeth ( 1.10 betas were posted on this forum months before it was release, but noone tested squat). We tested the VC bulds on the 2 systems we had, Mine and Mr. ApathyCream's. The normal one works for me, and the SDK one works for him. He has the updated SDK, I do not. There are many difrent versions of the plat SDK out there, we can't test on every single one. We need help with these things, not snide remarks. Hence the Open part of open source.
ImageJeffM
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

Patlabor221 wrote: If you add;
#define int socklen_t to the sdk version of config. h does it work?
I added this to common.h in the include folder:

#if !defined HAVE_SOCKLEN_T
typedef int socklen_t;
#endif

and to config.h in the VC6_sdk folder I added:

#if defined socklen_t
#define HAVE_SOCKELEN_T
#endif

That seems to fix the socklen error messages. This does not fix the problem with the version in the Vc6 folder.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ok, you would have only needed to do that in config.h

seems you have most of the vc6 sdk files, but not the socketlen stuff.

Me and Mr. ApathyCream were talking about how to get this all resolved . For you, don't use the normal VC6 folder, just use the sdk folder. We will be consolodating those 2 in a bit.
ImageJeffM
jweeks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jweeks »

Patlabor221 wrote:ok, you would have only needed to do that in config.h

Actually when the socklen define is not in common.h I get these error messages. That is why I put the socklen define in both config.h and common.h. I do know a little bit about what I am doing. lol

--------------------Configuration: net - Win32 Release--------------------
Compiling...
Address.cxx
multicast.cxx
C:\current_work\bzflag_stuff\bzflag_VC6_sdk\src\net\multicast.cxx(431) : error C2065: 'socklen_t' : undeclared identifier
C:\current_work\bzflag_stuff\bzflag_VC6_sdk\src\net\multicast.cxx(431) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'
network.cxx
Pack.cxx
Ping.cxx
Generating Code...
Error executing cl.exe.

bzflag.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I think if you put an include for config.h in multicast.cxx it will also work. Which is the better way to do this?

btw, what is the point of bzadmin, bztransform and the man to html stuff. Also, does the installer packaging actually work in VC++? I have never gotten it to work properly in the past.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

config.h is is included by common.h, we just need to move it in the include order, we should not have to #define anything in common as it is suposed to include config.

bzadmin is a text based admin tool, bztransform is a tool to apply transformations to bzflag maps, and the man and HTML stuff are the docs.

Yes the installer works fine, you just need to get the nsis installer from www.nullsoft.com and add the dir to your exexcutable dirs for your IDE.
ImageJeffM