my.bzflag.org DNS change

Important stuff goes here.
blast
General
General

my.bzflag.org DNS change

Post by blast »

The DNS entry for my.bzflag.org has now been updated to point to the new server (the one that the forum is hosted on). Over the past week, any changes to groups (new groups, adding/removing users) was not taking effect because my.bzflag.org was still pointing to the old server. This is now corrected, so any changes that were made to the groups will now apply.

As a side effect of this DNS change, all of the 2.0.x servers will need to be restarted, as they cache the IP address of the list server forever. BZFlag 2.4.x servers do not need a restart as they only cache the value for 30 minutes, and they are already mostly updated on the new list as I write this.

If any problems are experienced related to this, please let us know.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: my.bzflag.org DNS change

Post by Zac »

i cant see the serverlist, i can still join a server except it doesnt recognise me globally.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

What version of the game are you using, Zac?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

only 130+ servers showing up, is that to be expected?

what was it before, 250+?

Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

I'm using 2.4, on linux. could it be anything to do with my network? because the strayers info is also really limited now. i see only 10-15 people online and league stats show nothing..
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There should be 131 servers right now, Zac.

Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

i'm not the only person to have this problem either.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Go into your terminal and run 'host my.bzflag.org' and verify that the IP shows 109.169.80.184.

Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

i have that yes, and i'm seeing strayers info, i just cant get a list server, and am not able to be globally recognised
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It seems that some versions of libcurl (version 7.18.2, and maybe others around there) have a caching bug. Servers using these buggy versions of libcurl will need to restart bzfs in order to pick up the new list server IP address. These servers are affected:
  • 0.linuxceptional.com
  • 1purplepanzer.hopto.org
  • a-delusion.no-ip.org
  • BZAddict.net
  • BZFlag.ca
  • bzflag.enuffsaid.co.nz
  • bzflag.hepcat.org
  • bzflag.planet-mofo.com
  • bzflag2.norang.ca
  • bzflag3.norang.ca
  • bzworlds.eu
  • Hosting.BZAddict.net
  • hosting.BZFlag.ca
  • tanx.no-ip.org
  • usa.bzxleague.net
Seems like Debian Lenny has the buggy version. If people are using Lenny, I'd recommend updating to Squeeze which has a newer libcurl, as well as ensuring you get Debian security updates (which I believe are running out soon on Lenny).

As for your client problem, Zac, what do you have set in your config for the 'set list' line?

Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Not sure why you're having any problems then, Zac. It's using the default. And either way, you should be seeing SOME servers. There was about 99 still reporting to the old server, and 130 some on the new one. Maybe it's a firewall issue?

Deadalot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Deadalot »

blast wrote:It seems that some versions of libcurl (version 7.18.2, and maybe others around there) have a caching bug. Servers using these buggy versions of libcurl will need to restart bzfs in order to pick up the new list server IP address. These servers are affected:
  • 0.linuxceptional.com

Seems like Debian Lenny has the buggy version. If people are using Lenny, I'd recommend updating to Squeeze which has a newer libcurl, as well as ensuring you get Debian security updates (which I believe are running out soon on Lenny).

As for your client problem, Zac, what do you have set in your config for the 'set list' line?
I just restarted this one. It's running on CentOS 4 in a jail if that adds any light to this.

(root@taz5) 8 ~ # rpm -qa curl
curl-7.12.1-17.el4

I did not notice this, but one of my players brought it to my attention. Good enough...