New BZFlag homepage

Important stuff goes here.
blast
General
General

New BZFlag homepage

Post by blast »

We have a new website! Woo! This has been in the works for at least 9 months, and we were finally ready to release it. Most of it was done by allejo and it really turned out great. We also had some players from the community work on some of the documentation: Zehra, tainn, and The Noah.

https://www.bzflag.org/

Notable features or content:
  • Mobile friendly site
  • A much improved Getting Started page
  • Documentation of the flags and better organization of the slash command documentation
  • Documentation of how to compile the software on Windows, Linux, and macOS
  • Documentation of the various bzfs API objects
  • Search functionality for the documentation
There's more we want to add, such as some videos for the flag documentation pages.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: New BZFlag homepage

Post by ahs3 »

Looks amazing!! Well done!
indy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by indy »

Looks very good!

Thank you.
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Great work by all contributing individuals and especially allejo. The new site and solid documentation is a splendid step forward.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

lol I was preparing myself for an April fools joke. Turns out legit and looks amazing, great job! :)
silly :P
Sub[FR]
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sub[FR] »

Nice new website. Congrats!
Colonel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Colonel »

Great job..
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

You'all have passed all expectations and did not disappoint! The site looks great. Well done devs, allejo & blast!
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Cool :)

I am not sure of where this goes, but if I posted in the wrong area - please tell a mod/an admin to split and move it to the right area. If I posted on the wrong website with message board, please tell me.

I can only see screen shot(s) from the videos. If I try to play them all I get back is "no video with supported format and mine type found" in FIrefox 66.0.2 (32-bit) on the most up to date LTS Lubuntu.

Thank you
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Works for me with Firefox on both 32-bit Lubuntu 16.04 and 18.04.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

blast wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:40 pm Works for me with Firefox on both 32-bit Lubuntu 16.04 and 18.04.
Would it better to, ask elsewhere?

and if so, where a general Unix/Linux or a **buntu board?

In the meantime as I wait a reply, how about:

#1 Putting the videos on YouTube (if they are not already on there).

#2 And then posting a link / A embeded link for the Youtube Videos.

??

As to why/stated reason: While I can not see the videos here yet, at least I can see Youtube videos at Youtube and embeded videos that are at Youtube on what ever server that I am on. And I am sure this also helps other users too..

Thank you
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

The site looks excellent, great job everyone.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

trpted wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:49 pm I can only see screen shot(s) from the videos. If I try to play them all I get back is "no video with supported format and mine type found" in FIrefox 66.0.2 (32-bit) on the most up to date LTS Lubuntu.
Here's a shot in the dark, but if you view the homepage in Incognito or Private mode in Firefox, can you watch the videos? Sometimes this is caused by view cache/cookie issues.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

allejo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:35 am
trpted wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:49 pm I can only see screen shot(s) from the videos. If I try to play them all I get back is "no video with supported format and mine type found" in FIrefox 66.0.2 (32-bit) on the most up to date LTS Lubuntu.
Here's a shot in the dark, but if you view the homepage in Incognito or Private mode in Firefox, can you watch the videos? Sometimes this is caused by view cache/cookie issues.
Good guess, but nope.

Happy to report while it does not work in FF at this time for me, it does work in Chrome (or a browser like Chrome). So we know the issue is something to deal with FF and not the whole system. Will try FF safe mode next...

[EDIT #1 ] Tried FF in Firefox mode and it worked. :)

Now on to find what add-on/add-ons prevent FF from working when in normal mode..

Will re-edit my post if able to once I find it/them. Otherwise, I will bump the thread..

[EDIT #2] Found it/one of them. The Add-on that I have that prevented it from working normally was NoScript.

It would help to tell users of add-ons that prevent JavaScript from working normally to see the videos, about them. Like my example. If you use NoScript you must trust (temporary as need be) bzflag.org to see the videos.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I would think that users of NoScript would know that it blocks javascript, web fonts, and audio/video objects. Maybe you'd be better off with something like uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger.