BZFlag now on Flatpak and Snapcraft

Important stuff goes here.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

BZFlag now on Flatpak and Snapcraft

Post by allejo »

If you were on Linux, traditionally you had to compile BZFlag yourself or possibly get an outdated version from your distro's package manager. That's no longer the case. If your system supports Flatpak or Snapcraft, we've got BZFlag for you!
The configuration for the respective packages are available on GitHub, so improvements and bug fixes are welcome as PRs.
Thank you to GitHub users @rrigby and @Thanson16 for helping us get started with supporting both these platforms. These distribution methods are officially supported by the project but we're still new to these systems, so feedback is welcome.

As always, thanks for tanking with BZFlag on Linux!
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag now on Flatpak and Snapcraft

Post by tainn »

Ah yes, the holy trinity of Flatpak, Snapcraft, and AppImage.

Thank you for this change; I have personally been using the latest version that Fedora had offered in the official repository, which was a bit outdated. Will likely utilize Flatpak myself from here on!
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Excellent work. It will make it much easier for people on Linux to have up to date versions of the game.
Hopefully we'll see an increase in players from this.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

If perhaps anyone is using Plasma Fedora Linux like me, I would, after installing it this way and running it, wholeheartedly recommend getting BZFlag via Flatpak before any other method. I was partly forced into it due to the SDL1 vs SDL2 issues, but have no regrets.

A (short) step-by-step guide towards getting it, for anyone perhaps new to Flatpak:

1. Installation
Open up the terminal and run:

Code: Select all

sudo dnf install flatpak
2. Logout and login
The installation of Flatpak via Fedora's official repository extends on the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable, and a logout is recommended at this step for it to configure correctly (otherwise BZFlag will not automatically be added to the Games tab).

3. Flathub
The Flatpak repository. Visit this link and click on the Flathub repository file button. Click on the downloaded file. On Plasma Fedora default, Discover should run. Just click Install on the upper-right side of the page.

4. BZFlag
Remaining in Discover, search up BZFlag, where two results should appear, one being the Fedora repository/rpm match and one the Flathub match (Discover seeks through all added repositories). To see which is which, look at the Source field of the entry. Install the Flatpak entry.

5. That's it!
BZFlag should be successfully installed, utilizing SDL2. Happy tanking!