Our IRC chat channels have moved from Freenode to Libera.Chat

Important stuff goes here.
blast
General
General

Our IRC chat channels have moved from Freenode to Libera.Chat

Post by blast »

We have had chat rooms on the Freenode IRC network since at least early 2002. On May 19th, 2021, due to a disagreement/dispute regarding management of the network, about 20 to 30 Freenode volunteer staff members resigned. Some of them went on to create a new IRC network called Libera.Chat. Since then, there's been a lot of drama, trust has been lost in the new Freenode administration, and a lot of high profile channels (including Ubuntu and Wikimedia) have moved to Libera. We will be moving as well.

New IRC server: irc.libera.chat:6697 (TLS connection) (and they also have a webchat client)
Main development/support channel: #bzflag
Chat channel for BZFlag players: #bzflag-chat

Note that because this is a new IRC chat network, if you previously had a registered account on Freenode, you will have to register a new account on Libera.Chat.

(Some additional context about the recent issues with Freenode can be found here: https://fuchsnet.ch/freenode-resign-letter.txt)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Our IRC chat channels have moved from Freenode to Libera.Chat

Post by tainn »

Fedora is also a part of those mentioned high profile channels, and they have done the same.
blast
General
General

Re: Our IRC chat channels have moved from Freenode to Libera.Chat

Post by blast »

Note that the old freenode servers have been shut down, with the exception of at least one. However, the normal services (nickserv, chanserv, etc) are no longer running, and the server is misconfigured to allow rogue users to take their place. So someone is using the nickserv name with the intent of stealing user passwords. Do not connect to the old freenode servers. Also, the new freenode servers didn't carry over any of the nickname or channel registrations. We no longer have a presence on Freenode. Use Libera.Chat instead.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)