Map Rotation Changeg for Silvercat

Important stuff goes here.
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Registered = Priveledged

Post by SilverFox »

Generally speaking, I don't partilulary care if non-registered players don't get a vote.

I like to do what I can to encourage registration.

Anyone want to offer up a perl snippet for a filter subroutine?
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Can the wiki rotation be longer? I barely see it.

Can I change it to 2 caps or something in the wiki?
i thourouly agree with TD-Linux :)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

wait a sec. i am
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /mapwiki.pl on this server.
silverfox?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I'm getting a 403 Forbidden too.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Hmm... maybe a plugin for a /shutdown poll? I wouldn't know how to code the plugin, but someone else might. I am still watching other people make plugins, and learning from their code.

Maybe the map could end after a certain number of captures, so if they hate the map, they will try to capture much harder, maybe making them like the map more. ;)
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

Sorry about that. Should be working now.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

someone changed the map!

it's now RPG's Cityside 2.0
(i'm not complaining. no one liked mine - this is a fresh start!)

the only thing i would say is, why not put on a less developed map, so as to encourage editing, and changes to it?
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

Go for it. That's the beaty of wiki.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Heh... CitySide had a long time on Silvercat, judging by the "openness" of the Wiki. I think CitySide was there for 2 days.
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

I'm thinking allowing users to do a /poll set _changeMap may do the trick.
Why don't just do a /poll changeMap ?

As for the wiki... THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!!!

I'm gona get a bluehost.com acount and allow people to upload and play maps on my server.
(no online textures though)

With about a 5-15min time for each map...
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

Well, because "/poll changeMap" isn't a valid command I suppose.

I've doubled the time for the wiki map, and have enabled /poll set, so if you go to play there, and someone has a defunct/screwed up map, just run:

/poll set _changeMap

Please don't do this just because you don't like the map, however. If you don't like the map, go change it.
orange
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Abuse:

Post by orange »

SilverFox wrote:If this works well, I may put a .htaccess on there, and make the map run longer, but give access to the webpage only to those who ask for it.
We can quite easily set up a global group on bzbb (SILVERCAT.MAPMAKER?) and set the script up to allow access only from that group. I have successfully used bzbb logins on other web pages and it works great!

Thanks, by the way, to the devs who made that whole thing work here.
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

the HiX 2-team tankwar map was a fun 3rd alternate =)

kudos to whoever came up with that tryout on the silvercat server .

add anti-camping WW's to the base area after a capture , and it would be yay+1

;)
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

If you're going to do HTTP list server authentication, I got scripts that do it automatically, plus there is a common login at http://my.bzflag.org/weblogin.php?action=weblogin&url=
Basically, I could help you with that.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

silvercat, is there any way you can make the fact that the map is openly editable? not many people seem to understand that they can and say stuff like "This map needs more wings counts" or "It's too easy to CTF". they don't realise they can edit it until someone tells 'em.
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

sanitizer?

Post by SilverFox »

There is currently an -admsg and -srvmsg and its posted here and at http://silvercat.bzleague.com/forums/ I'm not sure what more I can do.

Currently, I don't see any reason to require authentication. I'd be more interested in a "map file sanitizer" that would restrict certain aspects of the map (optional) and make sure the map followed correct syntax and would actually work. The biggest problem we've had so far is typo's on maps that haven't been tested before putting them up, and the server doesn't start because of it (a missing "end" on an object for instance)
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Another Map Making Tool!

Post by SilverFox »

Ok, just finished a tool for wiki (or map making in general).

You can find it here: http://silvercat.tybox.net/object-randomizer.pl

This tool is designed to make many random pre-defined objects over a defined area. For instance, if you had a mesh box you wanted to use as a platform on a WG battle map, you could use this to place many of those boxes randomly w/out having to map out each one:

Code: Select all

Option          Value
Object Name     WGPlatform
# of Objects    100
X Minimum       -400
X Maximum       400
Y Minimum       -400
Y Maximum       400
Z Minimum       0
Z Maximum       1000
Include URL     http://maps.com/includes/WGPlatorm.inc
When you hit "Generate" that'd create a URL in your browser that you could include in your map:

include http://silvercat.tybox.net/object-randomizer.pl?name=WGPlatform&quantity=100&xmin=-400&xmax=400&ymin=-400&ymax=400&zmin=0&zmax=1000&includeurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmaps.com%2Fincludes%2FWGPlatorm.inc
This single line in addition to your include file would create 100 random WGPlatform objects on your map. It'd be different each time the server loads too.

Fun, huh?

On another note, if someone could show me how to get perl to specify a "content-type" that browsers would display like a normal text file (with linefeeds and all) I'd sure appreciate it. In the mean time, this seems to work nicely.

-SilverFox

<post copied from http://silvercat.bzleague.com/forums/vi ... ?p=316#316 >
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Pheonix?

Post by SilverFox »

Set variables are strange. They behave strangely, and are a hassle to register & set. If you want to do something like that, I suggest a plugin.
Patches welcome.

You may notice that mapwiki is gone. It was lost when we lost the last server. Someday I may get around to rebuilding it. If a php nut would like to help (or do) let me know. Originally I had done it in perl, and am not excited about the way it was done.
(Un)Guided Missile
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Pheonix?

Post by (Un)Guided Missile »

SilverFox wrote:
Set variables are strange. They behave strangely, and are a hassle to register & set. If you want to do something like that, I suggest a plugin.
Patches welcome.

You may notice that mapwiki is gone. It was lost when we lost the last server. Someday I may get around to rebuilding it. If a php nut would like to help (or do) let me know. Originally I had done it in perl, and am not excited about the way it was done.
Apart from my lack of knowledge of bzfs (I have some, but very limited), I for one could help, or even do it on my own
Cop @ Far, far, far too many servers. (How the heck am I meant to visit them all regularly?)
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Great! Req's

Post by SilverFox »

That'd be great. Basically this is what is needed:

Stage 1:

CGI/PHP that allows a user to edit a mapfile in a textarea. The webpage would load the file on page load, and save changes to it on submit.

Stage 2:
Syntax checking. bzfs runs several checks (you'd have to look at the code to get them all) on map files, but for the most part, there are several object "types" which each need to be "closed" by an appropriate keyword.

world 
name Simple World 
 size 100.0 
end 

box 
 position -20 -20 0 
 size 10 20 10 
end 

pyramid 
 position 20 20 0 
 size 10 10 20 
end 

mesh 
 vertex -10 0 0 
 vertex 10 0 0 
 vertex 0 10 0 
 face 
  vertices 0 1 2 
 endface 
end 
In this example, I've made indents so you can see the format. There is an object, some details about it, then a closing keyword. One of the important checks is to make sure there are no invalid objects (world, box, pyramid, mesh, and define are ones that come to mind)

For more details see this: http://my.bzflag.org/cgi-bin/man/man2html?5+bzw

Filter unknown/incorrect objects and options. If we don't know about it, or don't approve it, then it should be removed. Maybe this could be kept in a list in a seperate conf file?

Stage 3:
Insert things we'd like to make common or things that look missing. This will almost all be in the "Options" block/object. If -ms is missing, we'll put in -ms 3 for instance. Also want to insert -admsg "Silvercat Wiki"

Again, this would be nice to put in a seperate conf file. If you make this generic enough, other servers could use it as well.

-SilverFox
(Un)Guided Missile
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by (Un)Guided Missile »

I'll have a crack at it later, when I get home from school.

Also, do you want to save a diff between versions in a database of some sort (along with IP, time, etc.)?
Cop @ Far, far, far too many servers. (How the heck am I meant to visit them all regularly?)