* teamgrab.wav - Dave Brosius
* improved texture mapping - unknown
* possible win32 installer bug - Chris Walters
* gcc 3.1+ patches - David Trowbridge

Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish » Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:21 am

sweet... I will update my CVS and also get the new release. Thanks developers!!! :D
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}

Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

right on....

Post by Fiberchunks » Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:30 am

That is good news -- I'll get the latest and greatest too -- love the -tkkr and -tk options :)

Peace

Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Great

Post by Dutchrai » Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:36 am

Good news, tried the Windows build, runs smoothly. Thanks all who participated in this!
[img:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/images/forum/bbbanner.png[/img:82d1e9b9a0]
[color=#405070:82d1e9b9a0]
Visit Shell Shock at [b:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz[/b:82d1e9b9a0] for news, maps, tactical guides, game servers and more
[/color:82d1e9b9a0]

Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Bugged

Post by Dutchrai » Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:12 am

I tested BZFS to see if the notorious "NR" bug under Windows 1.7g0 BZFS versions still exists, and unfortunately it is. Windows users will not be able to use BZFS, at least not for more than 10 minutes or so. It is not stable (hasn't been since 1.7e0).

This bug has been reported at Source Forge under number 608769, here's the direct address to it:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=103248

Fortunately Chestal is double checking this with Mr. ApathyCream and looking into it, so hopefully Windows users can finally run a BZFS server in the next release!
[img:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/images/forum/bbbanner.png[/img:82d1e9b9a0]
Visit Shell Shock at [b:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz[/b:82d1e9b9a0] for news, maps, tactical guides, game servers and more

CobraA1
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Re: Bugged

Post by CobraA1 » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:06 pm

Dutchrai wrote: Fortunately Chestal is double checking this with Mr. ApathyCream and looking into it, so hopefully Windows users can finally run a BZFS server in the next release!
I certainly hope so. I'd also like to see the bug I reported get fixed. I can't fix it myself, as I don't have VC++ anymore.
-CobraA1

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

My avatar symbol © 2002 Jeremiah Moss. All rights reserved.

MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by MrApathyCream » Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:09 pm

Sorry folks, i don't have the capacity to run a server here (other than local) so I can't reproduce the bug to fix it.

Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Pitty

Post by Dutchrai » Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:29 pm

That's a pitty, but thanks for letting us know :o

Maybe one of the other developers has a Windows machine and can do something and squash this bug? :twisted:

Too bad I'm not into network programming.

wmdopple
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wmdopple » Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:41 pm

I tried the new build last night... it runs MUCH faster on my laptop now. I dunno what was changed, but I can actually turn on some of the detail settings now (I had to play with textures disabled in 1.7e6, and this is on a 1.3ghz laptop). I haven't seen any stability problems under windows either, but I'm probably just lucky on that one. :)

Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Stability

Post by Dutchrai » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:12 am

To clarify, the stability problems under Windows only occur when you try to run a SERVER with BZFS. The game itself (BZFlag), runs like a dream :lol-old:

wmdopple
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wmdopple » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:36 am

I haven't had any problems with the server, either... is it only if it gets crowded, or..?

Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Always

Post by Dutchrai » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:47 pm

As far as I know from others and my own experience, it does not matter at all if it is crowded or not. Just me and one other player is enough to crash the BZFS server if the other player leaves (1 out of 2 or 3 times it will crash).

Using WindowsXP here, but as far as I know I have never heard from a Windows 2000 or WindowsXP user who can stabily run BZFS. If you can, please post here with some details (Memory, Videocard, Software..etc)...maybe we can narrow down to the source of the problem.

As for myself, I have a Pentium 4 1.4Ghz, 128Mb of RAM, plenty of diskspace, GeForce 2 64Mb and a 1.500Kbps Cabel.

So far I have managed to replicate the problem on BZFlag 1.7e0, 1.7e2, 1.7e4, 1.7e6, 1.7e7 and 1.7g0.

wmdopple
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wmdopple » Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:19 pm

Hmm.. ok. I've haven't seen the server crash since 1.7e0 or so. I usually play several-hour-long games with my roomates, and a few across the internet... haven't done it really often, but just played one last night with 1.7g0. I've served games on both my main computer and my laptop, both running WinXP. Details:

Main:
-1.0ghz Athalon
-512M ram
-GeForce 4 Ti 4400 (recently upgraded from a Voodoo3 2000)
-Santa Cruz soundcard (recent upgrade from a Soundblaster 16)
-Linksys LNE100tx network card
-This computer was recently upgraded(?) from Win98, didn't have problems under that OS either. The OS upgrade came well after the hardware upgrade.

Laptop:
-1.13Ghz Celeron
-248M ram
-Intel 82830M video card
-Avance AC97 audio
-Linksys Instant Wireless Network Card, v3.0

I haven't served games across the internet much, so maybe that's a factor?

I usually run BZFS and BZflag on the same computer, with BZFS running any of a bunch of maps I've collected. We've had people quit out and come back in, including me on the server machine... every game has at least one person quit out, with the game continuing.

And, in the game I played last night, I started the server, connected, ran around a little (was a map I hadn't played before), logged out before another player connected (to re-check the name of the map I'd run), and then logged back in a few minutes after he connected. Dunno if that satisfies the reproduction requirements, but it's the one I'd remember the most about. :)

isfry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Windows vs the dreaded NR

Post by isfry » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:12 pm

Where I work we have our own server for bzflag and for the longest time that is the only was we could play firewall rules prevented us from going on to the net. I haven't really seen NR problems when running it under windows. There were some problems back in the 1.4/1.5 era with udp and that mad e it do that. The only times that I have seen NR's is when you do things like run it behind a firewall and not open up enough ports, if you and another player share a NAT connection, not all of the connections are on the same side of the firewall such as local users with 192 address and public users, or trying to connect with 127.0.0.1 doing any of those will cause NR's or at lease they used to some of them might have been fixed but I know the 2 users on the same server over a NAT will cause a NR, maybe not at first but something happens over time and it happens.

Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Net or LAN

Post by Dutchrai » Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:12 am

So what you guys basically are saying is that you have no problems running BZFS for WinXP in a LAN environment, but do not really play on the Internet.

So just maybe...maybe...this bug only surfaces when playing Internet games? Afterall, there are more connection issues, lag and I don't know what else involved in an Internet connection.

Any programmers any ideas?

wmdopple
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wmdopple » Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:49 am

I would have been able to test it on the internet a little while ago, but found out that I can't seem to get BZFlag working behind my new router. Ended up having to set up a server on an outside linux server, which doesn't help troubleshooting at all. Humph.

Are there any tricks to getting a BZflag server running behind a netgear router with port forwarding? Is it even possible? (I only ask the second because I remember there being problems with port forwarding and UDP ports in some routers)

If I can get something working, I would be able to test the internet theory...

'course, I guess that should probably go under the "configuration" area instead of here...

Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

check this out

Post by Fiberchunks » Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:54 am

check here -- I believe that I illustrate the absolute minimum required for a sucessful bzfs use...

http://bzbb.homelinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=83

Let me know if that helps, and if not, let me know precisely how you've got your router set up, so we can try and get it hammered out...

Note to self: commercial routers are getting crappier and crappier every year :( It seems that not one of the commercial router manufacturers (unless you pay ~$1000+ ) are able to comprehend UDP -- cause the linksys sux at it, imho.

/me must make dedicated linux box for routing / firewalling.

Let me know how it goes.
Peace

wmdopple
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wmdopple » Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:32 am

yup, I was afraid of that... as far as I can tell, my router doesn't know anything about UDP forwarding. Though I guess I can try just forwarding those high ports and see what happens.. :)

Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

if that's the case...

Post by Fiberchunks » Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:11 am

if that's the case, go here: http://www.dslreports.com, and check out the 'netgear' forum -- there may be firmware updates and such that you can get for the thing...

Peace

wmdopple
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wmdopple » Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:16 am

Well, I'm already using the latest firmware... needed it to fix the wireless networking interface (the MR314 evidently shipped with a bug that causes the router to lock up after a while of being connected to a wireless card). It was like pulling teeth to get it (the Netgear rep just wouldn't accept that I wasn't able to reach their support site's servers, since they were working fine for him. Wouldn't offer to do anything to help me, either, until I finally asked if I could get the firmware emailed to me, at which point he said "oh, sure, I can do that for you". :banghead: And it took over a week of back-and-forth in email and phone to reach that point. :banghead: I'm not impressed with their tech support, though the router has worked fine for me ever since.)

Might be a ray of hope, though... saw mention on that site (for different hardware, but..) that any port forwarding is both TCP and UDP. I would hope so, but since I've heard differently for other brands (specifically Linksys) I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Will be a while before I can test it out, but I'll be sure to let ya know what happens.

Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

A plug for DSLreports...

Post by Fiberchunks » Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:34 am

i can't recommend that site highly enough -- there have been many a time when I've been borked router wise, and almost every time someone has had a solution.

They have a netgear forum, and I'm almost positive that someone in there has had the same issues you're having -- check it out

Even for general purposes, it's a great site for info :)

</end plug>

Peace

kieran
Private
Private

Re: Always

Post by kieran » Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:04 am

Dutchrai wrote: Using WindowsXP here, but as far as I know I have never heard from a Windows 2000 or WindowsXP user who can stabily run BZFS. If you can, please post here with some details (Memory, Videocard, Software..etc)...maybe we can narrow down to the source of the problem.

So far I have managed to replicate the problem on BZFlag 1.7e0, 1.7e2, 1.7e4, 1.7e6, 1.7e7 and 1.7g0.
I can report that I have always been able to run BZFS on both WinXP and Win2k machines without this problem. I was recently at a small intimate Lan, where I hosted my Map contest map off my WinXP machine via BZFS (1.7g0) and we had up to 8 people lanning, with people entering/leaving the game at will without any apparent problems, we played for about 90 minutes in total (with me also playing, running the server/client on the same WinXP machine).

My machine:
AthlonXP 2100+
Abit KT7Av1.3 motherboard, latest B4 bios.
768Mb SDRam.
Geforce4 Ti4200 AGP4x video.

My other machine which I also have hosted from without problems in Win2k:
Pentium3/450mhz
128mb ram
cheaparse Jetway 7ZXAN motherboard
TNT2 Ultra video.

I know this probably isn't going to help much, but this does work for me without crashing. I have previously successfully used 1.7e6 BZFS also using the same machines.

Apologies if I've continued this in the incorrect forum.

regards,
Kieran

Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dutchrai » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:33 pm

Hey Kieran..tx for the post...only helps to confirm my suspicions about the BZFS problem.

You mentioned you could run BZFS on both Windows XP and 2000 systems. You also say that you play on a LAN.

The problem with BZFS appearently only occurs when you go on the Internet...when you do THAT...KABOOM!! :lol-old: Playing on a LAN however is fine.

Anyway, after much frustration and stuff I managed to solve the issue. Ditch Windows and use Linux! BZFS is working fine now..lol.

kieran
Private
Private

Post by kieran » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:57 am

Dutchrai wrote:Hey Kieran..tx for the post...only helps to confirm my suspicions about the BZFS problem.

You mentioned you could run BZFS on both Windows XP and 2000 systems. You also say that you play on a LAN.

The problem with BZFS appearently only occurs when you go on the Internet...when you do THAT...KABOOM!!
ahh right, sorry about that, I must've missed the bit where you mentioned online serving. I have not tested that, but I gather that if I do I'll get a similar problem to you. hmmm... Doesn't matter, if I ever feel the need, I can host it off my Mandrake box..

kieran

MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by MrApathyCream » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:59 am

Anyone have a stack trace of when it blows up?