BZAnywhere

Important stuff goes here.
papercut
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZAnywhere

Post by papercut »

An addendum to that, I just created an image for a flash drive and it turned out to be about 1GB in size (330MB compressed). openSUSE 11.1, GNOME, BZFlag, and a BZFlag logo at boot. Autologin with "TankCommander" as a user and access to BZFlag from there.

It could probably be trimmed down some. Use of a different window manager would allow greater customization and speed. I'd be happy to give a copy to folks or take suggestions if this is still an active idea.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Does it include drivers for nVidia and/or ATI?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

papercut
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by papercut »

Here's some screenshots of the image that I just built:

http://altbit.org/~hobbsc/pseudorandom/BZFlash/

Note that the time is off. The blue screen is the startup screen and the rest is just the default openSUSE-GNOME desktop, followed by the game running. It looks small/crappy because that's just a test drive inside SUSE Studio, not natively running.

A light weight window manager like fluxbox or even just VTWM/PWM would allow for a custom background to be set with icons pointing to the game, useful websites, and even IRC.

Thoughts? Should I make a sub-thread for this if there is enough interest?
papercut
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by papercut »

blast wrote:Does it include drivers for nVidia and/or ATI?
Those drivers are restricted, BUT links to install them would be trivial to make. They're closely integrated into openSUSE and could be installed at a click. They call it "one click install" and it's pretty simple.
papercut
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by papercut »

Note that I posted a topic re: this SUSE Studio build so I don't hijack this thread or take away from the original idea:

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?u ... 16&start=0
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

For drivers, do what Ubuntu do and offer them up for download, you're only not allowed to package it with the rest.

Also, there's probably stuff you don't need. I'm not sure about Slax, but e.g. Ubuntu - Remove OpenOffice, Xfce instead of Gnome. If you made a really basic one, like busybox and Xfce for even lower machines, much smaller download.