Flag pass on ducati

Please discuss issues concerning the Ducati League here. This is the liaison between league players and the league council.
osta
Private First Class
Private First Class

Flag pass on ducati

Post by osta »

Hi,

when I was discussing with someone lately, that ducati is 'slow', I started wondering, if there will be some way to add flag pass into ducati.
I.e. there could be 2 spots, which allow to pass flags between them, making the way between bases much faster.
They could be set in in 1/4 and 3/4 of the way between bases.

Ofc, there will be some extra problems - does it should be created randomly as blocks? or should blocks avoid that place?
Or maybe there should be only one pass place in the center which allows you send the flag back to the base? What do you think?

osta
jh^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Flag pass on ducati

Post by jh^ »

Not only duc is slow, gu is too...but i liked flag pass in zaphods bzmatchball map, not sure it would fit to randomly created map though. And it would change the whole ducati style. Maybe as optional thing? Like before match you could set flag pass on or off.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Would flag pass have to go to mid everytime? Could we choose to pass to side wall, half way.

I remember TRB had a test ducati style map where you could pass your flag back toward side of your own base. We tested 6-7 yrs ago and it was fun then. Let me see if i can hunt it down.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
osta
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by osta »

Maybe instead of pass there could be 2 teles, so the way to cap could be shorter?
Iskskskks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Iskskskks »

I forgot what they are called but I believe there is a block that launches you into the air if I remember correctly. Maybe you could use that block to launch onto a pyramid that you could pass on without changing the no jumping feature on ducati. Otherwise, ducati would just become GU without HiX :P. I think this would be a great idea Osta :) I look forward to any other suggestions.
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

Server code changes would be required to add features to the randomly generated maps used in the Ducati league. Anything is possible, but first we have to decide exactly what is wanted.

Flag passing is done by creating an "unsafe" location on the map (easy to do). If a flag is dropped there it flies to the nearest "safe zone," any number of which are also easily defined.

Moving the flag faster in Ducati would be ... different. High-scoring games (as in basketball) would be very different.
brad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad »

zaphod/bzmatchball style flag passing in ducati would be sweet :)
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

Ducati is simple, and that is one of the reasons why it is so easy for beginners to learn. You can throw a bunch of non-league players on a ducati map, and you will get some decent matching.

Adding the possibility to send the flag does not attract more players, it just complicates the gameplay; and it may even drive away some of those few who play.

Therefore I don´t like this idea.
jh^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jh^ »

If ducati is so easy to beginners why all the new(the few new who come along sometimes) players drift to gu? Maybe because the map is more..complex and they can jump.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

jh^ wrote:If ducati is so easy to beginners why all the new(the few new who come along sometimes) players drift to gu? Maybe because the map is more..complex and they can jump.
For me it is the jumping... being stuck on the ground makes me nervious.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

I don't believe flag pass ducati is meant to replace classic style ducati.
I see it as an option. Match classic or flag pass. 15, 20 or 30 min.

edit: It could also be a public map option, at first for introduction.
Last edited by kierra on Sat May 11, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
jh^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jh^ »

use zaphods bzmatchball map for flag pass...it suits better for it than randomly generated maps. And yes it was most fun map, too bad its not hosted anymore not even with public play version.
osta
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by osta »

bzmatchball can't work on 2.4 without rewriting the plugin. That's why it's not availabe to play.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

IIRC, FS wrote the original bzmatchball.
I admit to not knowing how much work it would be to rewrite it or knowing anything all about code.....Can it be assumed that some of the code from the 2.0 version would be useful and thereby jumpstart the rewrite?
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

I think this can be done with a script generated map. I would be willing to give it at go, and put it up for a test. But first where should the unsafe zone be to allow to the pass, and where should it pass too? mid?
alcatraz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alcatraz »

I would like better a bzmatchball pass style. Passing in the direction the tank is moving, dunno how far.
T-roy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by T-roy »

The matchball pass would a great addition to the game, not just in ducati but gu.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

kierra beats up Troy for mentioning gu here......anathema(not the player)!!!!! :D

you already have camp/pass in gu already....that's a discussion for the gu league thread. <3 you, T!
osta
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by osta »

you have to remember, that in bzmb map tanks spawns only on their half, so they could defend base more efficiency. Without that there will be basketball scores for sure ;-)
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

kierra wrote:IIRC, FS wrote the original bzmatchball.
I admit to not knowing how much work it would be to rewrite it or knowing anything all about code.....Can it be assumed that some of the code from the 2.0 version would be useful and thereby jumpstart the rewrite?
Yes I wrote the original FlagPass plug-in.
Ideally a rewrite would require a server modification to avoid some of the anomalies that the plug-in had. Jumping and passing was very unpredictable, especially if there was lag. I needed guess the velocity and direction of the player at the time of dropping the flag in order to calculate the pass location.
If a plug-in could be involved in the processing of events beforehand rather than just reacting to it afterwards, then the event could be modified/cancelled by a plug-in before processing. This would make the plug-in code itself very simple and would produce a much better user-experience.
I'd be willing to create the necessary modifications to both plug-in and server code, if the proposed server mod was considered useful enough to be adopted into the main trunk.
Otherwise it could only be achieved by writing the plug-in in a way that goes outside the scope of where the plug-in API allows.