We want to hear from you !

Please discuss issues concerning the Ducati League here. This is the liaison between league players and the league council.
goblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: We want to hear from you !

Post by goblin »

menotume wrote: The council would like to know what the most important issues are. Please tell us here!
Niceness, fair play, and helping others should be high on the agenda. Matches are so much more funny, when everyone is in a good and playful (literally speaking) mood.

Saying "Hi" when joining, and "bye" when leaving, positive comments (or just a "LOL") on other peoples fancy moves helps to keep focus on the game more than the competetion.

These simple gestures are very important for the way I personally remember a match.

I don't know how these matters work in the league, but in an ordinary Ducati style game where people come and go, the mood is often good, but easily spoiled by swearing, racist comments and what-have-you.

I don't recommend making rules demanding people to be nice - forbidding harsh language is important, I think. But asking the skilled players to be aware of this can be a good help, since they are kind of role models here.
Tank you!
sussi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sussi »

some statistics are general great. It could posted to the news as well.
Also reaching some level of skill or win against a (maybe 200 points) higher ranked team. To find usefull triggers schouldnt be to hard.
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

Take skill/luck from my opponents and give it to me!
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

I'm working on a plug-in at the moment that would allow a player to throw the team flag.
Essentially, if you drop the flag while moving forward then the flag will drop some distance in front of you (configurable and depends on your speed) and likewise if you are in reverse.
Unfortunately, to do this simply, it would require some small modifications to the server and could not be done only as a plug-in.
The main reason is that in order to calculate if the flag will land in a safe place, I need access to calls that are not exposed to plug-ins.

It could add a new twist to Ducati, in that you could essentially pass the flag in the direction of your mate.
Would this be worthwhile? Would this get you interested again?
Would it be worth making modifications to the server code?

I would hope, of course, that the mods could be added to the main trunk, but that is for others to decide.
Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

The thread for the Plug-in is here.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

absolutely F.S.! would add certainly a "new twist" and enlarging the tactics and the play-style! but please keep me posted about it for the BzWorldCup map!!!
(and btw great job on your avatar ;)
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

If anyone is interested, the plug-in is ready for beta testing. A recent version of the source is available for compiling.
I'm just tidying it up and making some cosmetic changes, but the functionality is all there.
FiringSquad [url=http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=150585#p150585]here[/url] wrote:OK I've pretty much finished coding this and thanks to some advice from mrapple, I was able to achieve it without any server mods.
I'm just testing things now and when ready I will release it.
If you would like to see a very early version of the source, then you can see it here.
It's not quite ready for release, but you will certainly be able to get a feel for it, should you wish to compile and install it.

Essentially the flag flies in the direction you are traveling and the faster you go the further it flies. You can even send it backwards and through walls. :-)
The distance the flag flies is configurable.
If you jump while dropping then it will fly even further. Of course, this is likely to result in you being shot as you land.
If the landing position of the flag is unsafe, then it is considered a fumble.
Depending on the configuration, the plugin may try to find a safe location closer to you.
If no safe location is found then a standard drop occurs.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but there is a definite skill in getting the flag to fly to where you want and it was this requirement for a level of skill that I was looking for.
I had considered options like locking on a player and passing to them, but that could result in instant caps etc. and I don't think that would add anything to gameplay.
brad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad »

Love that plugin FS, really good idea! Only thing I would suggest is removing the pass on death and the (somewhat annoying) flag fumble messages.
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

thx brad - I'm adding a config option for what happens on death and /fpass fmsg=off will turn off the messages
I might give the option /fpass fmsg=player to only the the passing player the message "you fumbled the pass"
I added it in case people wondered why the flag did not fly when they wanted it.
if /fpass steps=0 then the flag would just drop on a fumbled pass and the player might get confused without being told what happened.
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

To make a final word on Offtopic: Pass Flag Plug-In

I really think this Plug-In is great and supports the tactical aspect of BZFlag. But i do also think, that the Ducatileague isn't the right place for it. Call me boring, but i like Ducati as it is.
The Place-To-Be for the Plug-In is the 2TeamLeague.
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

I think u should only be able to chat in team, including observers.
Bar admins this would make it more fun.
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

No Jacko your wrong. it wouldnt make it fun. part of the reason i play duc is because i can banter with my opponents.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Try this duc league, Uneven macthes are allowed on the duc league. This way, observers subbing can join in the fun. This is a great way for weak players or new players to actually have fun during a match instead of getting shot 24/7 this is a solution for players not quitting so soon. Look at the GU League, it has this option. The gu league has good options and advancements like these, this is why the GU League is more active than the Duc league (though a few years ago, both the GU League and Duc League was POPULAR) so duc league, edit. Allow uneven matches! Such as 3vs2 and EVEN 10v2 for example. Just as long it has 2 players at LEAST on each team for it to become official. Another important thing is make sure ALL players agree to an uneven OFFICIAL match before playing. Cheers :) "Past Overcomes Present"- Snake12534
retired
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Given that 2 gu admins are duccouncil, rest assured that this is being discussed already.
Nothing decided as of yet.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
osta
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by osta »

The Ducati Council has decided against allowing uneven teams for official matches. Extenuating circumstances may force a player to leave the match before its conclusion, in which case, the match may be completed with uneven teams if both teams agree. However, teams are required to be even at the beginning of the match, and the expectation for all official matches is that they will be played with even teams.