New idea for a tourney/league.

F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

New idea for a tourney/league.

Post by F687/s »

Hello, I just had an idea for a league-style tournament, and wanted to see what the interest level is for this sort of thing.

One of my biggest problems with the traditional leagues is (looking in from the outside) uncoordination. The general league playing times is "play whenever everyone gets there." How they organize league matches, I'm not sure.

My proposition is to start a seasonal BZFlag league tournament where matches are organized, and I've thought up some rules for them.

For starters, each team will be composed of 5 or 7 players, and up to 3 subs. The entire tournament league will have a maximum of 10 or 12 teams. Each team has a home map, which can be any map, as long as it is a 2-team CTF that can have a linear line of symmetry drawn through it (regardless of the Z-axis). One player is chosen as the team captain/leader.

Matches take place one one day of the week, at a time that is most convenient to North American and European players both (95% of players). Matches are organized in a round-robin format. Each match is 30 minutes long, divided into 15-minute halves. The score is based on the max number of captures for each team (not normalized score). At the end of the season, the 8 highest scoring teams get placed in the tournament bracket, with quarter-finals, semi-finals, and finals. These matches take place on a predefined map (probably HiX or something).

The winners of the tournament get something shiny in the mail, or in their sig, or they get to tell their grandchildren that they won the first BZFlag Bowl way back in 2008 (back before it became an Olympic sport).

Now I know that the general rule for leagues is "if you want one, make it yourself," but I'm posting this to see the level of interest. This has probably been posted before, but I want to see what people think of doing something like this in the next year or so.

Please reply if you have any feedback.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

The reason for the current league situation. It's very hard to explain to spouses or especially parents that the reason you can't do something with or for them is that you "need to go play a video game". Thus the loose arrangement.

Look for this to be a bit easier with the next generation.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

The reason for the current league situation. It's very hard to explain to spouses or especially parents that the reason you can't do something with or for them is that you "need to go play a video game". Thus the loose arrangement.

Look for this to be a bit easier with the next generation.
Longhair, indeed this is a problem. Unexpected or more important things come up during the requested match time, and sometimes a player can't show up. Hopefully the three substitutes that were mentioned for each team would be able to be used here... unless the majority of the team had something come up or they forgot the time or date.

The idea is a good one, F687/s, and I'd probably join if you got this started. I am a little concerned about the "home team map". I'm afraid some may pick a LouMan map, some may pick the Babel map... and I'm just not certain how even it would be. But without anything specific to dislike, go ahead with it if you'd like, and I guess we'll see how it works. 8-)
Marines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Marines »

you should get a list of home maps and teams have to pick out of those chosen.
Poke Me And Die!
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

well again like longhair said the parents may not want their kids to go play a video game at a certain hour. besides some people on a team can have a match today at 8:00 pm but because of time zones this will be hard because some people that don't know what GMT is they won't know what time the match is at their location. and another reason is that some players won't cancel their plans just to go play. Some people might have a meeting at work or school activity, and miss the match and it turns out that no subs where available and it was like 7 against 2 because the others couldn't make it. but like the current matches in GU League the matches can be whenever any teammates are online and when they can play. i'm just saying this can be a problem but no is stopping you from starting.

if you do start it, i can help with anything, or mostly anything. :D if you do start it "good luck"
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Doubt this is going anywhere... you guys woke up a year old thread...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

oops well i just saw it was on the top so i replied, i dint pay attention to when it was from. oops :oops:
deviltank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by deviltank »

There is a rumour something is coming. Stay tuned 8)
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Strange... I hadn't noticed it was a year old topic. It was on the top of the Tournaments forum and showed a new post.
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

A spammer made that new post. :lol-old:
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/