Cops perms

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Cops perms

Post by Grace F »

Can anyone tell me if a cop is supposed to see someone's IP.
I ask this because i was on Hepcat and a player was jumping around. JUMPING!! :P

There was a cop on at the time but Jumpin Jill had already logged out. I suggested to "IP ban" him but the cop replied that he couldn't see it.

ty
flickboy
Private
Private

I was the cop

Post by flickboy »

If anyone's got any suggestions for what I can do about it, pm me. He just jumped around a few times, and left before I could ban. I already /report'ed it.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

I think they are allowed to see it if they have the PLAYERLIST permissions, but I could be wrong. It varies from server to server.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

in my honest opinion, if someone has ban permissions, they need playerlist. Not all people think this way. it depends on the server operator to set the permissions, and the permissions for different groups varies from server to server.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

It is entirely up to the server owner, imho, a meagre cop should just have SHORTBAN and thus doesn't really need PLAYERLIST, since their ban will expire in x hours anyway.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Yes I believe that cops on hepcat do not have the PLAYERLIST perm, and are therefore not able to see players IPs (log on and do a /groupperms command to see for yourself). And yes, this does make it impossible for a cop to ban players once they've logged off.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Dam, that ain't good. Once the cheater has logged out, he could come back with a different callsign each time without the cop realising it.
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

CannonBallGuy wrote:imho, a meagre cop should just have SHORTBAN and thus doesn't really need PLAYERLIST, since their ban will expire in x hours anyway.
Even if there ban will expire in x hours, they should still be able to ban once the player left. It will keep the IP in the banlist and in x hours, an admin would join and ban him for longer. If there are no admins, you can still keep the IP and shortban again until an admin comes
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Banning an IP for 5 hours is just pointless.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

CannonBallGuy wrote:Banning an IP for 5 hours is just pointless.
For unregistered players, banning by IP is the only way to ban, unless I'm mistaken (I believe that /idban is only for registered players).
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

What I'm saying is, if the cheater really wants to come back, they will simply change their IP address - assuming they have a dynamic IP - and rejoin. This will take a matter of minutes, meaning a 5 hours IP ban would be kinda pointless.

Merry Christmas!

Bentusi Elite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bentusi Elite »

There is no ultimate solution for banning people and you know that. As part of BZFlag's open-ended nature hackers can always find a way around eventually. There isn't really anything much better that cops can use other than X-Hour bans, so there's no use trying to devalue it.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

I believe that all admins, be it cops or even minicops, should have the adminMessageReceive perm. I mean, who's it going to harm? It would allow them to see the IPs as well as talk on the admin channel. It wouldn't really give them any more power, so it wouldn't be dangerous. So what is wrong with giving them the perm?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

that exploding tank wrote:I believe that all admins, be it cops or even minicops, should have the adminMessageReceive perm. I mean, who's it going to harm? It would allow them to see the IPs as well as talk on the admin channel. It wouldn't really give them any more power, so it wouldn't be dangerous. So what is wrong with giving them the perm?
It is the server owners decision and no one else's. Having a player's IP address can give you some information about them, not much granted but some. The server owner may decide that they do not need that information, whether you think there is no harm in it or not.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

I realize that its the owner's decision. I also realize that someone's IP can tell you something about them. However, it would take a really good hacker's skills to be able to use that IP for something other than BZFlag use. Granted, there are hackers that play BZFlag, but they are in the extremely small minority. Once again, I do realize that it is the server owner's decision as to what perms to give someone; i was just saying what I believed.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the IP address is assigned by the ISP, it is "used" for all network communication from the machine. So it requires no "hacker skills" to use that IP for things other then BZFlag. Many ISPs give out dynamic IP addresses, so a user can get a new IP by simply restarting there computer, or router, again not requiring any "hacker skills". An IP address can simply tell you a users ISP, it does not contain any personal info about them or there computer.

Most ISPs use dynamic IPs, so as CBG stated single IP bans on dynamics are pointless, any cheater knows how to reset is IP if he can, it's just that simple. Hostmask, and rage bans are the only effective IP based bans for dynamics.
ImageJeffM
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I don't think anyone will be made an admin/cop if they weren't trusted. I certainly would only make those i trust most to run a server that i made, if i made 1 :P SO why not give those people the perm of "/playerlist"?

Anywho, i do know its the server owners descision, but thats my two cents.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

donny_baker wrote:
that exploding tank wrote:I believe that all admins, be it cops or even minicops, should have the adminMessageReceive perm. I mean, who's it going to harm? It would allow them to see the IPs as well as talk on the admin channel. It wouldn't really give them any more power, so it wouldn't be dangerous. So what is wrong with giving them the perm?
It is the server owners decision and no one else's. Having a player's IP address can give you some information about them, not much granted but some. The server owner may decide that they do not need that information, whether you think there is no harm in it or not.
I think this is already readily apparent, but just to reinforce it...

The permission that allows cops/admins to view players' IP addresses is PLAYERLIST, not ADMINMESSAGERECEIVE. The latter allows you to (obviously) see messages sent with the "send to admin" key, and to see some server state announcements not sent to the public (such as when a player is kicked, and why).