Start Server Problems

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Start Server Problems

Post by WarPig »

hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could help me. I have been using bzfs to test some maps and play with bots, however when i recently went to the "start server" option then click "start" a messege appeared saying "failed... Server program no execuatble"
this happens when i'm not using bzfs.
when i try to start a server on bzfs it says "bzfs.exe is not a valid Win 32 application"
can anyone explain?
please forgive me if i have done somthing stupid. im a bit of a noob.
Thanks
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

when i recently went to the "start server" option then click "start" a messege appeared saying "failed... Server program no execuatble"
First, the "start server" button is really useless, in my opinion, for starting a server. It will only start a server on the localhost, when it works. In other words, no one other than you will be able to access this server.

As for BZFS, are you starting it in the command prompt? Or are you trying to double-click the icon from the Windows screen?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

where did you get your install? it sounds like it's corrupted or something.
ImageJeffM
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

that exploding tank wrote:
when i recently went to the "start server" option then click "start" a messege appeared saying "failed... Server program no execuatble"
First, the "start server" button is really useless, in my opinion, for starting a server. It will only start a server on the localhost, when it works. In other words, no one other than you will be able to access this server.

As for BZFS, are you starting it in the command prompt? Or are you trying to double-click the icon from the Windows screen?
well...for starters im not trying to set up a public server here. im simply testing maps. also im at school and therefore behind a proxy so i cannot join public server and so i play with bots.
as for Bzfs. i use the cmd and use the same code as i always have which has always worked.
thanks for suggestions though
Last edited by WarPig on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

JeffM2501 wrote:where did you get your install? it sounds like it's corrupted or something.
i downloaded from bzflag.org if thats what you mean?
sorry if i'm being an idiot!
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

If you're doing what has worked in the past, I'd suggest re-downloading the software, it can't do much harm unless you're on dial-up or something.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

CannonBallGuy wrote:If you're doing what has worked in the past, I'd suggest re-downloading the software, it can't do much harm unless you're on dial-up or something.
i cannot re-download the sofware here as i am behing proxy server restrictions :( but i will do so when i get the chance.
thanks
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Why are you doing this at school?

If you can't re-download it ask permission from 1 of the school computer administrators or something and ask if they can temporarily take down the proxy server restrictions.
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

Grace F wrote:Why are you doing this at school?

If you can't re-download it ask permission from 1 of the school computer administrators or something and ask if they can temporarily take down the proxy server restrictions.
well...its a boarding school and being away from public bzflag servers means i have to do somthing else. so i make maps and stuff like that. unfortunatley the school proxy restrictions are very strict! so i can't just ask them. :( but thanks for suggestions :)