"-" Error

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

"-" Error

Post by Grace F »

Umm there seems to be a problem on many servers regarding many people. I was just in Hix trying to talk and it said I didn't have permission. I looked at my sign and it was a "-" so im like ...ok np I can fix that. Then I realised I wasn't the only 1.

At 1 stage out of 5 obs, 4 (inc me) had this "-" sign.

So I wen OBing all different servers, it was the same for me on all. Not only that, players to which I know that did not have a "-" sign in the past, now have it.

Has something gone wrong?

-Ok, im pretty sure this is in the wrong forum, so if it is sry :?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

That will happen when the list server goes down (which can be often or for extended periods of time).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

that must be what has happened then.
tadd
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Could it also be

Post by tadd »

If a server config does not have a -publicaddr option, but players who have registered addresses and passwords attempt to connect to it, I think the players might show up with the '-' sign.

Support for automatic playername verification may require listing in the global server list.

Tadd
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 800 character limit
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Could it also be

Post by A Meteorite »

tadd wrote:If a server config does not have a -publicaddr option, but players who have registered addresses and passwords attempt to connect to it, I think the players might show up with the '-' sign.
Actually, they appear with no sign. No '-', no '+', no nothing.

This is because if the server explicitly has no contact with the list server, it assumes everyone is not registered (though that is different than a server trying to contact the list server, but fails to do so).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

A Meteorite wrote:
tadd wrote:If a server config does not have a -publicaddr option, but players who have registered addresses and passwords attempt to connect to it, I think the players might show up with the '-' sign.

This is because if the server explicitly has no contact with the list server, it assumes everyone is not registered (though that is different than a server trying to contact the list server, but fails to do so).
Tadd was correct. They might show up with a '-' sign or without a sign at all. It depends on the userdb, too for example.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
tadd
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

the bottom line

Post by tadd »

As I understand it now, if you want global-group and REGISTERED support from your groups table on the map, you need to have the server be public.

True?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 800 character limit
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I believe it must connect to the list server.. not necessarily does it have to be "public".

I think you add '-advertise none' and it will not show up on the list but still be connected to the list server for Global Auth. The other thing you can do is '-advertise tadd.somegroup' and it will only show up on the list for those people in that forum group. I may be wrong on the exact syntax, someone correct me if I am wrong.
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

IIRC you need to specify -public to use -advertise.
-public
tells the list server that you run bzfs
-advertise
specifies what players should actually see the bzfs on the list

BTW: If you only want (globally) registered people to see the server
-advertise verified
works. More information can be found at the man pages.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

ts wrote:
A Meteorite wrote:

Tadd was correct. They might show up with a '-' sign or without a sign at all. It depends on the userdb, too for example.
No, I'm afraid you're quite mistaken... a server which does not use any authentication at all will have every player "sign-less". Userdb does affect this, but you become '+' when you /identify and remain "sign-less" if you never /register to begin with.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

A Meteorite
I think the dev monkey knows what he is saying.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

me1 wrote:A Meteorite
I think the dev monkey knows what he is saying.
Not this time. :) I've worked with local and global auth for a long time... I know what I'm saying too.

And if I recall correctly, ts wants to (or did?) remove local auth in 2.1...
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

A Meteorite wrote:
ts wrote:
A Meteorite wrote: Actually, they appear with no sign. No '-', no '+', no nothing.

No, I'm afraid you're quite mistaken... a server which does not use any authentication at all will have every player "sign-less". Userdb does affect this, but you become '+' when you /identify and remain "sign-less" if you never /register to begin with.
A userdb can be used without a passdb. So /identify and /register can be disabled while having a userdb.

Try it yourself: Set up a userdb, put the server public, join then remove the public option. The bzfs instance will require players to get a global login but does not talk to the list server.

The difference comes from carrying an old userdb which requires a player to identify with the list server but the bzfs ignoring global logins.

In any way, '+' and '-' are different from no sign, too. :roll:

BTW: I did not remove local auth in 2.1. It was Jeff, my position is if local auth goes /dev/null something new must be written to replace the lost scripting possibilities.