Who Would Like To Host My Map???

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Lt-Kirby2007
Private First Class
Private First Class

Who Would Like To Host My Map???

Post by Lt-Kirby2007 »

Hello Ladies and GentleTanks :D

Thanks to a few of my friends input, I have created my first ever map :D, but I have heard that to host a server you need to have a reasonably powerful computer...and to be honest, mine is pretty pants - plus looking at a thread on how to start up a server has confused me even more so i dont even want to think about doing it myself.

I have created a map, which I personally think isnt half bad for a first try - although some may disagree. The map took me almost 2 hours to complete, although that may partially be because I am still getting used to the controls and tools of BZEdit.

Now I dont know if this is true or not, but I heard somewhere that others can host maps for you, in which case would anyone be interested in hosting my map? You could make some changes to it if you wanted.

If anyone is interested in hosting my map, then just leave a comment - plus also you will need to tell me precisley what i need to do in order for you to be able to host it becuase I have never done this before.

~Lt-Kirby2007~
:twisted: Making the world a deadlier place :twisted:

BZTANK.NET ADMIN - THE PLACE TO BE!!!!
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Who Would Like To Host My Map???

Post by temporal distraction »

Lt-Kirby2007 wrote:... I have heard that to host a server you need to have a reasonably powerful computer...
That's not really true. The game client takes more CPU power than a single server will. What you need is enough bandwidth. Even consumer level broadband is enough to host a map with limited number of players. 6-12 depending on the configuration. Learning to host your own maps is a fun challenge - consider trying it yourself. :D
Lt-Kirby2007
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lt-Kirby2007 »

awww, but i dont wanna lol! it is too complicated for my fragile mind lol. please, if anyone wants to host my server please leave a comment and also tell me how i can send it to u. :D

~Lt-Kirby2007~
:twisted: Hot lead leaves you dead :twisted:

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

You can post the attachment here.

1st - Edit your original post. Then scroll down to the bottom and click add an attachment.

2nd - Find your map and double click it.

3rd - Then after that click add attachment.

4th - Click submit to finish editing your post.

A Temporal Distraction wrote:Learning to host your own maps is a fun challenge
It is. It really annoy you at times though - believe me. I still haven't found how to configure my router to allow me to host a server publicly. I don't even know what that means! lol. Someone told me to do that and im like EHH? :?

Anways, you should learn to host your map privately, including making you own config. The config is what adds flags to your maps, adds lag limits for players, adds shot limits, player limits, plug-ins (I think), etc etc. It really does not take that long to make 1. The link I gave you on another topic of yours shows a list of options.

ex:

Code: Select all

+f WG{25}
-ms 4
-j
+r

and so on.

...DO IT!! :evil:

hehe
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I'm working on a shared server arrangement (http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10642) where people will be able to host small servers for free (larger servers for a small fee and/or on a donation basis). It will include a map rotation/map selection feature for those who want to host multiple maps. If you can wait a few weeks, you might want to go for something like this. It will be fairly simple to configure with a step-by-step web configuration interface.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Two hours? I've spent much longer than that on any half-way decent map I ever created.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Lt-Kirby2007
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lt-Kirby2007 »

well i admit it aint a perfect map, but theres no need to sound big headed and make me feel bad.

Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Two hours in BZEdit is for me an average time. I tend to get things done pretty quickly there, just not usually all at one sitting.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Who Would Like To Host My Map???

Post by Grace F »

Lt-Kirby2007 wrote:The map took me almost 2 hours to complete
is that it? :?

A good, carefully thought out map takes alot longer than 2 hours :) And considering as this is your first map, it should've taken you longer :P

Post some screenshots if you know how to yet. I told you how to add an attachment in another 1 of your topics.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Lt-Kirby2007 wrote:well i admit it aint a perfect map, but theres no need to sound big headed and make me feel bad.
You'll learn to ignore him. ;)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)