Admin Password

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
ushalldie154
Private First Class
Private First Class

Admin Password

Post by ushalldie154 »

How do i set an Admin Password for a Linux server and please just tell me and don't send me a link to something.
Have a nice dea... um day. Your computer will now self destruct goodbye!!!

Member of Ducati league, Trix league, and 1 VS 1 league
Member of Team Genocide (Trix league)
Member of Team BuLlDaWgS (Ducati league)
macsforme
General
General

Re: Admin Password

Post by macsforme »

use the server config option...

Code: Select all

-password <insert_password_here>
ushalldie154 wrote:...and don't send me a link to something.
I understand your frustration... but learning how to dig for things like this yourself saves you and others a lot of pain in the long run. :-)
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

ushalldie154 wrote:...and please just tell me and don't send me a link to something.
You definitely will want to learn to search and find things on your own. The more flippant you act with the people who might help you, the more sarcastic the answers will be. Remember, you're not entitled to any help at all - we are more than happy to help, but don't act as if we owe it to you.

Back to your question, I don't know of anyone who regularly runs a server who still uses the -password option. Maybe I'm wrong, so somebody shout out if you do. (and haven't been cracked) The reason is that the password gets sent in plain text, and all a cracker has to do is listen to incoming traffic on your server to snag it. Instead, we use a more secure method of tying a given player's registered callsign on this forum, and match up the password in the client with it. You do this by setting up groups on this forum, and use -groupdb to point to a file with the permissions you want to give.

Setting this up is a bit of work and can't be explained in a few words. You'll have to read the bzflag wiki to get all that figured out. That's why we have a wiki in the first place - so we don't have to write it down a million times. If you put bzflag wiki in a google search, the very first entry is the one you're looking for!
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Longhair wrote:Back to your question, I don't know of anyone who regularly runs a server who still uses the -password option. Maybe I'm wrong, so somebody shout out if you do. (and haven't been cracked)
I understand that some of the mainstream servers do use -password (I won't mention which ones because I don't want them to be subjected to hacking attempts). The reason is that there are some things hardcoded into bzfs that only operators (admins who used /password) can do, such as overriding the ANTIBAN permission.
ushalldie154
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ushalldie154 »

Where is the server config file on Linux? I know about the option now and have read about it but where is the file it goes in? :?
Last edited by ushalldie154 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

The config files can be put anywhere, so long as you specify the path to them when you run bzfs.

Personally, I have a directory called bzconf where I put all my config files, group files, and user files. That way, you can use a ./ relative path to refer to your other files from your conf file.

For example,

-groupdb ./groups
-userdb ./users
-world ./worlds/pillbox.bzw

to run the server, I just put

Code: Select all

bzfs -conf /home/username/bzconf/confFIle
in a terminal, and I'm in business.
ushalldie154
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ushalldie154 »

Anything else because it does not show up on the list server?

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

You gotta open your router... I've said this one thousand times...
Portforward.com
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

As I've said previously, setting up a bzflag server is a non-trivial task. It's not that hard, but it isn't something as easy as a few mouse clicks and you're in business, either.

To anyone thinking of setting up a server:
You REALLY REALLY REALLY need to read through the wiki! If you don't understand everything on the first try, that's perfectly fine and normal. Just keep at it and read it a few times until you do understand.

Try to get only one thing working at a time. The more new things you try to do at once, the harder it is to figure out what went wrong.

Not only do you have to forward the ports if you're behind a router, you also need to allow them through your firewall, (you are running a firewall, right?) and you need to use the -public setting to get a public server.
ushalldie154
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ushalldie154 »

Thank you very much i will take a look at portforward.com and read through the BZFlag wiki more thoroughly. I don't know how to thank you all for your kindness and constant lookout for those asking for help.Thank you :D