I need Help

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
red comander
Private First Class
Private First Class

I need Help

Post by red comander »

Is there a way to ban a a computer. Because you ban somebodys ip number and then they change it, or you ban there name and they change there name. And lets say the person is a real trouble maker.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

You - to my knowledge - can't ban a specific computer. I guess if you could, you would use the computer's MAC address. Of course, the troublemaker could swap out their ethernet card or switch to another computer on their LAN.

In some cases, you can ban a range of addresses, but that isn't always practical. For example, if you ban the range of addresses leased by Comcast, you would ban ALL Comcast customers. If they have a small, obscure ISP, that can work.

Troublemakers are a problem, and there is no substitute for good, active admins/cops.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Longhair wrote:I guess if you could, you would use the computer's MAC address.
Well, the client would have to tell the server it's MAC address, so it could be spoofed to whatever the person wants. If someone didn't want to mod BZFlag to manually spoof their MAC, most routers allow people to change their MAC address.
Longhair wrote:Troublemakers are a problem, and there is no substitute for good, active admins/cops.
I agree entirely, but the world is not perfect. All of us have lives and no server can be monitored all the time unless you sacrifice for more sketchy and untrustworthy admins.

red comander
So the answer is pretty much no. Hostbanning can be quite effective for those with small ranges, though, and anyone else that it does get can be whitelisted with an antiBan global group.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
red comander
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by red comander »

Well what can i do about it. Its axl rose and shes been giveing our server truoble, he hacked it yesterday. He almost hacked the admin password and he got so close he shut off the auto ban feture then left. Luckely he didnt get the password. i need help what can i do.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I've seen 'axl rose' around and s/he is nothing but trouble. Swears constanly, tk's and whatnot.

What I would do is to just keep banning, ban for as long as you want. If axl appears before that time has passed ban again.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

red comander wrote:Well what can i do about it. Its axl rose and shes been giveing our server truoble, he hacked it yesterday. He almost hacked the admin password and he got so close he shut off the auto ban feture then left. Luckely he didnt get the password. i need help what can i do.
What are you blabbering on about?
They "hacked" your server?
You mean they tried to guess the password...?
How can he "turn off the auto ban feture" (whatever an "auto ban feture" is)?
And how can he get "close" to guessing the password?

This is all you can do about it: get a team of good, active admins who will ban their hostname and ip range whenever he visits your server.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

There are ways of hacking a server, but password guessing isn't particularly effective. Don't get your panties all in a wad over somebody trying to guess your password. (unless it's really obvious) If they're good enough, they won't need to guess.

Of course, ban a password guesser on sight.

And yes, axl rose is a twit. Ban him on sight.
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

some games have hardware bans also, dunno how to do it or how to implement it, but maybe thats an idea also
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

red comander wrote:Well what can i do about it. Its axl rose and shes been giveing our server truoble, he hacked it yesterday. He almost hacked the admin password and he got so close he shut off the auto ban feture then left. Luckely he didnt get the password. i need help what can i do.
I believe "axl rose" is a registered user, right? If so, ban by bzid. From the /idban command:

Code: Select all

[SERVER->] Syntax: /idban <#slot|+id|PlayerName|"Player Name"> <duration> <reason>
[SERVER->]   Please keep in mind that reason is displayed to the user.
You could also add "axl rose" to your badwords file, and enable filtering of callsigns.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

axl rose is masterbanned, so technically they shouldn't be around anymore. On my server, I don't even have a password set. I only use global groups to give out rights.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

red comander
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by red comander »

she changes ip number when one of hers is banned. and she changes callsign
when one is banned.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Are you sure they're a she? From when I've ever encountered him, s/he always seems delighted to talk about parts of the male anatomy and what s/he likes to do with them.

A mere technicality.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

red comander wrote:she changes ip number when one of hers is banned. and she changes callsign
when one is banned.
Then ban them again. No need to make a big deal out of it.
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

If a server admin does a masterban flush of there server, then the people that were masterbanned can now join the server.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

A Heart Attack wrote:If a server admin does a masterban flush of there server, then the people that were masterbanned can now join the server.
If they do, they deserve to have those players join.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)