log fiels for window computers

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
big_daddy2
Private First Class
Private First Class

log fiels for window computers

Post by big_daddy2 »

what do you do in the target line for a log file on windows?
some people told me you do -logfile "path" and thats it but that didnt work for me, i started it up on a command prompt and it said it did understand it and told me all the other commands...what do i do
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There isn't a "-logfile" parameter. You'll be redirecting output to a file.
Last edited by blast on Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

If you're using cmd.exe (which means anything over Windows Me), you will want to start your server something like:

Code: Select all

bzfs -conf mymap.conf >> log.txt
Unfortunately, BZFS doesn't really say much (unless you screw up). To make it talk, you need to add the -d option. The -d option will output information regarding what the server's doing. Also, you might want to use the -ts option, which timestamps the logs. If you want more *ahem* verbose output, use either -dd or -ddd. If you're truly paranoid, use -dddd.

http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFS_Command_Line_Options
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

F687/s wrote:If you're using cmd.exe (which means anything over Windows Me), you will want to start your server something like:

Code: Select all

bzfs -conf mymap.conf >> log.txt
Unfortunately, BZFS doesn't really say much (unless you screw up). To make it talk, you need to add the -d option. The -d option will output information regarding what the server's doing. Also, you might want to use the -ts option, which timestamps the logs. If you want more *ahem* verbose output, use either -dd or -ddd. If you're truly paranoid, use -dddd.

http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFS_Command_Line_Options
Even MS-DOS supports file redirection just like that. It's not simply a feature of newer versions of the command prompt found in NT based versions of Windows.

Using -dddd in bzfs will generate huge logs in a hurry. I would recommend that for only debugging severe problems.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

big_daddy2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by big_daddy2 »

oh thanks that works! but it only works on a command prompt so its OK....i tried >> (path) first but forgot to put in -d, lol