Email on Connect?

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
a blue tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Email on Connect?

Post by a blue tank »

Is it possible to get bzfs (or bzadmin?) to send out an email when a server transitions from having zero players connected to having one or more players connected?

You can probably see what this is for: I host a server and want to know when someone is on so I can go and kill'em. :-)

I could probably wangle something with bzadmin and perl, but if it's been done already ...
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

I'm sure you could write a plugin for that, but it would probably get annoying after a while... :?

As bzfs exists, though, that is not possible.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

There are IRC bots that give some sort of server status depending upon the bot. You'd simply keep a certain channel open, and the bot would give occasional updates. It would be more efficient than email anyway, because email often gets delayed.

Now that I'm thinking of it, wasn't there a plugin to send chat messages back and forth between BZFlag and IRC? What ever happened to it?

Edit: here it is:

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5426
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

AAA here on the forums made a PHP class/script that allows a script to join the server and can detect anything from the server and do anything PHP can do - so it would be simple to change it to send a email when the number of players changes.

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software