How do I start a poll ban?

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Wabbits With A Laptop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: can everyone be banned?

Post by Wabbits With A Laptop »

how do you even start a poll to ban people?Whenever I go to a server a teammate kills me at least10 times!Sometimes I get so mad I exit the server.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

wabbitswithalaptop wrote:how do you even start a poll to ban people?Whenever I go to a server a teammate kills me at least10 times!Sometimes I get so mad I exit the server.
/poll kick/ban/etc. playername
If a poll is already started you can vote with /vote yes and /vote no

Just so you know, these are frequently asked questions. You can use the "Search" option, a lot of the times you'll find your answers there.
There is also the bzflag-wiki that you can view HERE, which has tons of information too.
Just a little tip, by typing /poll you can see all the possible polls and the correct syntax, just don't go /poll banning people to try it out, they wont like that. ;)
Last edited by dexter on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Also, just for a bit of extra info, to vote in a poll you don't have to write "/vote yes".

Say your in mid battle, you can type "/vote y" or "/vote n".
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

And if you start a poll, if you warned the guy and he keeps doing the wrong thing, use /poll ban instead of /poll kick. With /poll kick he can just come back and do the same over and over. With /poll ban he is at least some time out..
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Also, a word of caution with /poll ban and /poll kick...

I have seen these commands used with good effect when no admins are around, many times. On the other hand, I have also seen it abused, and in the end the person who was abusing the command was banned. There are logs on most of the servers and /poll ban-kicks are watched for abuse. Do not use these commands for fun, and make sure that there is a VALID reason for using them. One or two TKs over an extended period of time is annoying but it happen (on some maps more than others because of the design/settings), even happens to me occasionally. Make sure you ask the other person to stop or be careful first, then pull out the kick/ban hammer. Some TKs are new players and talking to them and explaining the game goes a long way to making the entire game more enjoyable for everyone.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Silver992
Private
Private

Post by Silver992 »

I try to ban someone and it says I have to register and I have what am I doing wrong?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Silver992 wrote:I try to ban someone and it says I have to register and I have what am I doing wrong?
You did not sign on to the server using your forums username and password in the callsign and password fields. When you do you will have a + next to your name in game. Then you will be able to... but you should read my warning above. I would say that I ban as many tkers as I do people abusing /poll ban or /poll kick . Make sure you are not using it frivolously.

TKs happen, and telling someone to "Stop TKing" means absolutely nothing to a new player. IF they knew what TKing was they would do it less often or rarely. I find it much more effective to talk to them in private with a message like 'Hi, you are GREEN... please only kill RED tanks. Your team would appreciate it". You know what.. they get it then (usually) and play much better. TK is a BZFlag term that a noob would have no idea about. Think about it... did you know what tk meant the first couple of times you played?
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

Wabbits With A Laptop wrote:how do you even start a poll to ban people?Whenever I go to a server a teammate kills me at least10 times!Sometimes I get so mad I exit the server.
This also might not be their fault. You may be not looking and accidentally drive into one of their bullets.
Jeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jeep »

if the poll ban doesnt work And there still being bad send a report to the server /report