Can't add flags...

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
P a r a d o x
Private
Private

Can't add flags...

Post by P a r a d o x »

When I use:
+f good{number}
or +f flag type{number}
The server adds flags fine.... but when I log into my server... I can press "i" until my keyboard breaks and I won't spawn.
If I use -s or +s... nothing seems to happen.
I could put:
+s 9000000000000
And still barely any flags... this doesn't make the server have problems though....
I know the config is running properly and loading.... I even have a custom map (map not problem)... but the flag count is wayy off....

I would like to have (if this command would work)::
-f good{200} (yes I want that many)
and
-f bad{50}

Thanks...
P a r a d o x
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

You are probably putting too many flags on the board. You can only have 255 flags on your map at one time, or else you won't be able to spawn.

Also, putting +f good{200} will not make 200 flags, but 200 of every good flag, which puts the flag limit well into the thousands. Try using +f good{5}, and start increasing the number after that.
P a r a d o x
Private
Private

Post by P a r a d o x »

Ok... I used +f good{5}
I could see the flags on the radar.. but when I push "i" I don't spawn.
The server says

Code: Select all

Player submitted reverse resolve query
Player removed at 'time here': Write error EAGAIN
I don't know if that means anything but it looks to me as if the server is disconnecting me for no reason.
When other players try to join it says in chat (if I do make it in):

Code: Select all

'username' joined as a tank
'username' signed off
It says that the person signed off immediately upon entering.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

I'm assuming you're using a Windows OS. This seems to be commonplace with Windows.

Try reducing that count even lower. Possibly 2. That is a lot of good flags unless you have a large map.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Many different oppinions exist in this forum about this topic. (Some say windows bzfs accepts maximal 50 flags, other say it is just a rumour, and so on). Time to clarify:
So I tested now the windows and linux bzfs 2.0.10.

Linux: -f good{12} works(=312 flags). But -f good{15} doesn't let you spawn.
Windows: -f good{2} works (=52 flags). But -f good{3} is too much.
Wierd :?:

Paradox, when you solved your flag issue, then it would be nice if you tell us how many flags you have, and how many flags were too much. This could back up the these.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

No, it isn't weird. Linux is just far superior to Windows in all ways. Especially Fedora. Fedora is great!
FKA Ratfink
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Ratfink wrote:No, it isn't weird. Linux is just far superior to Windows in all ways. Especially Fedora. Fedora is great!
Linux is not superior in all ways. While stability and the 'free' price tag is really nice, it's not prefect for everything. No operating system is perfect, and they all have things they do better. Let's not turn this into an OS flame war.

P a r a d o x, what version of BZFlag are you using, and what Operating System are you trying to host it on?

You might want to verify that the map doesn't add additional flags. So try running without a -world first, and if that works, you will want to check the map file for flag zones or an options block with flags.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

P a r a d o x
Private
Private

Post by P a r a d o x »

I am using Windows XP and I am hosting the server on a dedicated computer.

I had:
+f good{2}
and it worked.....
but here is the catch!
I used +s and -s (I set them to the same thing.
I believe it was 50.
So:
+s 50
and
-s 50

The server worked ok AT FIRST!!!
As more and more flags were added because of +s... the server had more and more problems. Finally over my ventrilo chat one of my friends would say "I can't spawn!!" and I would have to restart the server. The server was able to remain up for about 1/2 hour to 1 hour.

Is it possible to make a plugin that adds flags?

I also opened the map and I checked... it dosn't add any flags. I also tried using a random world..... same result.

I would like to have more than 2 of every good flag.
I would like to have something like 5 of each. I like a lot of flags and I have seen servers that have accomplished this.... I how I can get there.

P a r a d o x
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There is issues with having too many flags on a Windows-hosted BZFlag server. I know of no workaround at this point. If you want to have more flags, you'll have to host on something other than Windows.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

blast wrote:
Ratfink wrote:No, it isn't weird. Linux is just far superior to Windows in all ways. Especially Fedora. Fedora is great!
Linux is not superior in all ways. While stability and the 'free' price tag is really nice, it's not prefect for everything. No operating system is perfect, and they all have things they do better. Let's not turn this into an OS flame war.

P a r a d o x, what version of BZFlag are you using, and what Operating System are you trying to host it on?

You might want to verify that the map doesn't add additional flags. So try running without a -world first, and if that works, you will want to check the map file for flag zones or an options block with flags.
Sorry, I was just joking. I didn't mean to offend you or anything like that.
FKA Ratfink
P a r a d o x
Private
Private

Post by P a r a d o x »

So there is nothing I can do besides host it on Linux?
I thought that plugins might be able to fix this problem.
If it is a fact that windows can't have as many flags that it should be stated by the owners/programmers of this game. That or it should be fixed because that is pretty stupid to say that "Windows can't have as many flags"

I know now why all companys host their websites and resources on Linux... it was made for servers.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

P a r a d o x wrote:If it is a fact that windows can't have as many flags that it should be stated by the owners/programmers of this game. That or it should be fixed because that is pretty stupid to say that "Windows can't have as many flags"
BZFlag is an open source game. There are no owners... the programmers work for free and do it as a hobby...

I will quote the famous open source addage: Patches Welcome

So if you don't like it, download the source code, figure out why and fix it and then submit a patch on sourceforge. Oh, and blast IS one of the programmers, so he is in fact stating that there seems to be a problem hosting a server with lots of flags on windows, and it has been there for a while. Host on linux, just define fewer flags, of fix it... those are your options. Complaining about it is not...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Basically, the "with Windows you can't have as many flags" theory is only partially true. I hosted one of my maps with Linux, and connected using an OS X client, and I couldn't spawn due to having too many flags. As long as you make sure the total number of flags is less than 255, you should be in the clear network-wise.

When it comes to putting RAM inside a slot that won't fit, there are two ways to fix the problem. You can either shove it in as hard as possible, which could work, or it could break the RAM/slot/motherboard. OR, you can go and assess the situation. Maybe you didn't pull the securing flaps down enough. Maybe you're putting it in backwards. All hypothetical irrelevance aside, this could be what you're doing. Putting +s 900000000 will only make the situation worse. Rather, try to find the solution to the problem, and then work from there. If you only need flags in certain areas, try learning how to zone flags to a certain area.
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

P a r a d o x wrote:So there is nothing I can do besides host it on Linux?
If you have just one machine, and your aim is to run windows on it, then you could try an OS emulator for windows, but it's some real overkill. (I suggest i.e. vmware (free download), there are even ready to use linux-images for vmware in the internet).
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

z[h]ero wrote:
If you have just one machine, and your aim is to run windows on it, then you could try an OS emulator for windows, but it's some real overkill. (I suggest i.e. vmware (free download), there are even ready to use linux-images for vmware in the internet).
I Believe the flag issue has something to do with the size of the TCP/UDP buffers in windows.

So, for a VM to work you'd need to increase the buffer size on the host OS.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Winny wrote:
z[h]ero wrote:
I Believe the flag issue has something to do with the size of the TCP/UDP buffers in windows.

So, for a VM to work you'd need to increase the buffer size on the host OS.
That's a rather wild assumption to make. That would be something to test out. It might just be a winsock issue, and not an issue with Windows' TCP/IP stack itself.