How to pick a map for a sever?

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
I8ABUG
Private
Private

How to pick a map for a sever?

Post by I8ABUG »

I want to start a server for me and friends, but i can't pick the map for it. I have some maps downloaded and able to select them in the game at the start a server screen. When i go onto the server i made it's a random map. :cry: How do i pick a map the for the sever? Also how do i make it private? Please make it simple, i'm a noob.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running: 98SE , can run XP if needed
Game version:2.0.10
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Are you placing the map (.bzw) files in your My BZFlag Files/worlds directory? If you do it that way, you should be able to select your map.

However, this only works at the LAN scope. If you are interesting in hosting a map publicly, you should read this page on creating a server.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It's likely that the maps you are starting in-game are failing to launch, and it's leaving a random map running from an earlier attempt. The in-game Start Server menu isn't very good, so you may have to run the map on the command line. You can search around the forum for how to start a server (or go to the page that F687/s posted above), and then just leave off the parts about -public.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

I8ABUG
Private
Private

Post by I8ABUG »

F68/s, your link use useful but it was based on a older version of BZFlag.(2.0.0) I have 2.0.10, so there was some files i couldn't find. The first part on configuring the settings was for the map and flags etc. was good. But i still don't know how to set up a public sever. :cry: And the part 'Running the server"(link above) was confusing. I'm a noob at starting severs. Plus i do have a hardware firewall if that makes a difference.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I8ABUG wrote:And the part 'Running the server"(link above) was confusing. I'm a noob at starting severs. Plus i do have a hardware firewall if that makes a difference.
Running a server is not trivial. It can be a complex task for someone with minimal knowledge of port forwarding, command line (a.k.a. terminal), and networking.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)